AU Chapter III: Back and forth

"You forgot your bag."

"It's cold outside, you should come in." Kiyotaka said, prompting Mahiru to enter.

"Thank you." Mahiru said sheepishly, she was looking at the floor, doing her best to not steal glances at Kiyotaka's well toned body.

Shortly Mahiru walked past the entrance, and as soon as she entered she noticed that unlike her own home, the entrance hall was really small.

Following Kiyotaka's instructions, Mahiru took out her shoes and put them inside the shoe closet. Then she made her way inside, to have a better look of Kiyotaka's home. The first thing that caught her eyes was the small kitchen.

While she had done it, Kiyotaka had picked the bag and an umbrella that were in the hallway. In fact he was inspecting the contents of said bag, water had gone inside the bento box, making it inedible.

A small problem for someone like him, in fact he was glad it happened. Now he had an excuse to try those delivery services he had heard about. Having a guest made things easier, there were many things to choose from.

"Shiina, is there anything you want?" Kiyotaka asked.

Upon hearing Kiyotaka's words Mahiru stopped in her tracks, she was about to open the small refrigerator in Kiyotaka's home.

"It's fine Ayanokouji-kun. I just came to give it back your things" Mahiru said in panic. "I'll leave now."

"Isn't it too soon to leave? You have just arrived." Kiyotaka remarked.

"That's..." Mahiru tried to speak but no words came. She was looking at the ground, stealing glances at Kiyotaka from time to time.

"Are you scared?" Kiyotaka asked curiously. "I won't eat you, you know."

"No! I just don't know where to look!" Mahiru cried, her face was red as a tomato. Her eyes were closed and she was pointing at him. "Can you wear a shirt?!" She pleaded.

"Oh! I thought you liked it, considering how you've been stealing glances at me." Kiyotaka said nonchalantly.

Unfortunately no response came from the girl, her face only became redder. Kiyotaka's comments made Mahiru want to dig a hole and hide there.

"It's fine Shiina, there's nothing to be ashamed of." Kiyotaka pointed. "That's a sign you're a healthy teenager."

For a second time, no response came from Mahiru. Suddenly Kiyotaka thought that maybe he had taken things too far.

"I was joking." Kiyotaka said apologetically. "I'll get some clothes."

Immediately he left towards his bedroom. A couple of minutes later he came back, he was wearing a white shirt. In his hands were a towel, a shirt and shorts

"Shiina, I got you a towel and some clothes." Kiyotaka said "You can change in the bathroom." He was pointing at a certain door.

"It's fine Ayanokouji-kun. They're not that wet." Mahiru said sheepishly.

"I insist, I don't want you to catch a cold." Kiyotaka said calmly. "I'll feel responsible if you do."

Mahiru was the kind of girl who would keep people at arm's length, thus having the opportunity to banter was non-existent. Nevertheless she felt comfortable doing it with Kiyotaka for reasons she couldn't understand.

That's why upon hearing his words she couldn't miss her chance to go on the offensive after being on the receiving end.

"Is Ayanokouji-kun running away from responsibility?" Mahiru said playfully. "I mean, boys surely avoid commitment."