Chapter 24 - Waking up not alone

Lydia

I'm warm. Not uncomfortably so, just cozy. I'm on my side and something is pressed against my back. A weight over my waist.

I open my eyes and almost startle. A raspy tongue reaches out to lick my face. Max is wagging her tail, lying on the blanket. I move my head away from her and groan a little. She's adorable, but I'm not even awake yet.

The weight at my back moves, pulling me closer. I can feel Wes nuzzling my neck as he gets comfortable.

I free one hand from the blanket and pet Max. She stands on the bed, clearly eager for us to get up. When I turn my face into the pillow, she moves over me to see if she has better luck with Wes.

"Oh," he startles and squeezes me harder. Then he laughs. It's a deep, rumbly sound that reverberates through his body and into mine. I turn my head to look at him.

"Good morning," I say.

"Good morning." He makes no move to let go of me.

"I think Max needs to go outside."

"Right." He sighs and removes his arm.

"I can go," I say. "I just need the bathroom first."

"Thanks." He flops over to his back and I move Max out of the way so I can get up. I can't remember ever spending the night with a guy before. Especially not without sex. Or while I'm on my period.

It's different from what I thought. Nice. Maybe I should let guys stay over more often.

I finish my business and head back to the bedroom, where I put on a pair of jeans and a top. A glance out the window tells me it's sunny and my app tells me I won't need a jacket.

Wes is still in bed, so I pick up the leash, and Max comes running.

"You like walkies, don't you," I coo as we head for the door. "Are we a good doggie?" I check the living room quickly and notice a torn up decorative pillow. "Well, maybe not that good." She looks up at me as I attach the leash. "I know. It's not your fault you don't know what's off limits. But don't worry. The pillow wasn't even that nice. And I'm pretty sure Ellie hates it, so you did her a favor."

We head out for a nice leisurely walk. I let her explore the scents around the apartment building and enjoy the sun on my skin.

Once she's done her thing, we head back upstairs to the apartment.

Wes is still in bed, and Max immediately jumps up on it to greet him. He rubs a hand over his face and looks so innocent. It's almost adorable.

"Sorry," he says and tries to push Max off the bed. "Max, down. She's not allowed on the bed, but I don't think she knows that yet."

"I don't mind." I shrug.

"Really?" He sounds surprised. "I just thought it was something most people hate."

I don't need to ask to know that he's referring to Chloe.

"Maybe I should give her some breakfast," I say. "Max, do you want food?" She looks up at me and wags her tail. "Come on." She immediately follows me and I only get a glimpse of a half naked Wes as he throws back the covers.

I find the rest of the dog food and put some down for her. She acts as if she's never been fed before and I shake my head as I change the water in her bowl.

"Oh, shit." Wes stops in the living room, with his t-shirt only halfway down his muscled stomach.

"Oh, yeah, I guess she didn't like that pillow either." I shrug.

"Sorry about that." He's already picking up pieces of fluff, trying in vain to stuff them back into the torn pillowcase. "I'll get you a new one."

"It's not a big deal. Do you want breakfast? There's cereal and yogurt." I open the fridge. "And orange juice."

"Sure," he gives up on the pillow and sits at the counter. I put out cereal, milk, orange juice, and a couple of Ellie's yogurts. Then I get bowls, spoons and glasses and sit next to him.

We eat our breakfast in silence.

He clears his throat. "Thanks for letting me stay."

"Sure."

"I hope I didn't snore or anything."

"I wouldn't know. I passed out when my head hit the pillow."

"Same. I think that was one of the best night's sleep I've had in a while."

I refrain from telling him about how often I've cried myself to sleep the last year. But it was nice to not feel alone.

Max finishes her food and starts roaming. She discovers the broken pillow and goes for it.

"Max, no." Wes gets up to take it away from her. He finds one of her toys and gives her that instead.

I take the last bite of cereal and get up to put the bowls away.

"I should get going," Wes says.

"I'll help you gather her things." I rinse her food and water bowl and dry them before I put them back in her bag, then I help Max gather up her toys and blanket.

"I owe you for this," Wes says when they're ready to leave.

"I like dogs," I say and feel like a fool.

He puts the leash on, and Max immediately wants to get outside.

"Thanks again for taking care of her," he says.

"You're welcome."

As soon as he opens the door, Max darts outside. But Wes seems to hesitate.

"I'll see you on Tuesday," I say.

"Yeah." He lowers his head and swivels away.

"Bye, Max," I call out after them as I close the door.

I blink. Dazed, I head back to the kitchen. There are two bowls in the sink and the ruined pillow is still on the couch. But somehow it feels like a dream. As if tonight and this morning never happened.

I shake my head and open my laptop. Maybe it was all a strange dream.