five.

THE AGENT - VOLUME 1chapter five !

chapter five !

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

IT wasn't long after Maria had told me that Fury wanted me to join the Avengers that I'd dressed into proper clothes and was sat in the front passenger seat of Maria's armoured car as she drove me to where Fury was recovering. My eyes darted around uninterestedly at our surroundings as she drove and I looked back down at my phone as Natasha's personal contact information glared back at me. I had to try one last time. Exhaling, I pressed my thumb on Natasha's number and held the phone to my ear, listening to her phone ring and ring. Not-so-surprisingly, she didn't answer and I groaned a little before clearing my throat.

"Hi, Nat, it's me again," I started. "Sorry, I know this is like the seventh voicemail I've left but I need some indication to know you're okay. A text, a call, anything. I need to... Just let me know you're at least alive so I don't freak out."

Maria glanced at me as I placed my phone back in my lap and rubbed my face tiredly, groaning some more. She frowned.

"Still nothing?"

I shook my head, sighing. "If I'm honest, it's good she doesn't have her personal phone on her. They could easily hack into it."

She hummed in agreement as she started to slow down and I looked out of the windshield curiously, a confused noise leaving my lips. Where were we? I turned to face Maria, my question evident on my face, and she sent me a knowing look.

"You know Fury, Colleen," she said. "Ultra paranoid, he's recovering in a hidden facility here with Doctor Fine."

"Well, he was almost assassinated," I pointed out and made a move to undo my seatbelt but Maria stopped me, placing her hand on my arm. "What?"

She hesitated like she did before then sighed. "Don't feel pressured to say yes. You've got a lot going on, Fury will not be upset if you turn his offer down."

I smiled a little and nodded. As much as I wanted this, I needed to properly think about this, if it were the right path for me. I had to admit, if Natasha had been pressuring Fury to have me be a part of all of this, I was probably destined to say yes. Natasha knew everything about me, absolutely everything. If she thought I was of Avengers standards then I was.

Maria nodded in reply and we both started to exit the car, me unfolding my walking stick as I stood. I followed my boss as she led me towards a building with a long corridor, which made me regret not bringing my wheelchair, and looked around at where Fury was recovering. What was this place? I went to ask Maria but we were stood in front of a curtain and Doctor Fine stepped out from behind it, obviously having just checked on Fury. He smiled at the two of us.