one.

THE AGENT - VOLUME 1chapter one !

chapter one !

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

PRESSING the red button on my phone as I pulled it away from my ear, I smiled and looked at the redhead beside me as she drove through the district to our destination before turning away to stare out of my own window and sighing to myself. I briefly looked down at my phone, which still had an old photo up, and turned it off quickly, hiding the device in my lap. Obviously noticing this out of the corner of her eye, Natasha smiled softly.

"So..." she drawled, her soft smile easily turning into a smirk, and I rolled my eyes playfully. "What did bossman want?"

"Bold of you to assume bossman wants anything to do with me," I replied and she let out an amused hum, making me look at her again. "For your information, Romanoff, it was Commander Hill, giving me my orders for the mission."

"Oh, so we're last-naming now, Smith?"

I grinned. "Watch your back, Red. You're not the only one who's handy with a knife."

"Ooh, I'm so scared."

I laughed and turned away again. I'd known Natasha for pretty much the entire time she'd been at S.H.I.E.L.D.. I'd joined the company as a starry-eyed intern after I'd graduated from MIT when I was twenty-two and I'd actually been an intern on the team that had wanted to recruit her when she was targeted by S.H.I.E.L.D. for her involvement in the KGB. We were originally the team that Nick Fury, or bossman, as Natasha and I liked to call him, ordered to eliminate her but, upon meeting her, Clint Barton went against his orders and tried to recruit her. Then I saved her ass on one of her missions and she, upon finding out I was just an unpaid intern, demanded that I was to be promoted. So, for the past five years now, I'd been one of Commander Maria Hill's go-to agents. All thanks to Natasha Romanoff.

"Would you text Steve the details?" she asked, holding out a phone that was not her own. "We can't stay long."

"Gotcha," I said and plucked the phone out of her hand.

Sending back a smirk she offered me, I quickly typed out a message to send to our colleague and leaned back in my seat, staring out of the window for him. When I noticed him talking to another man, I tapped Natasha on the arm and nodded towards the pair. With a nod, she stopped the car and rolled down my window, making both Steve and the other man look over at us. I smiled.

"Hey, fellas," Natasha started. "Either one of you know where the Smithsonian is, I'm here to pick up a fossil."

"That's hilarious," Steve shot back sarcastically and I snorted, smiling up at him as he bent down to peer into the car. "Hey, Colleen."