Part 7

I woke up feeling helpless.

Another Tuesday, another day of Rylee dying. I buried my head into my pillow and screamed, trying to get everything out in one shout. "Don't die on me again, Rylee," I whispered into my pillow, the muffled words losing themselves. My tears soaked the pillow and I let it hide my crying from the rest of the world.

I couldn't watch Rylee die again.

"Unless I don't let her," I whispered aloud. I turned to look at the clock. 6:00 AM. I jumped out of bed, adrenaline pumping through me. I tossed my dirty yellow sweater on the floor and slipped on a shirt. I grabbed a jacket before running out of the room.

I eyed the cereal as I pulled on my shoes.

"Arlea?" Theo's deep morning-voice filled the living room. I paused mid-shoe, stumbling onto Theo, who held me with a surprising grip despite the fact he just woke up. "Where are you going so early?" He scratched his head, setting me down on a stool.

"I'm meeting up with Rylee." My voice squeaked and I cleared my throat. "We procrastinated on some homework and decided to do it together before school."

"You never prioritise school work over your breakfast," He laughed. "But go ahead. I'm living to see the new Arlea." I smiled awkwardly, tying my laces and stumbling out the door. I closed it behind me, leaning against the door and breathing.

Ethan would kill me if I tried doing this without him. But there is no time, I tried convincing myself. I nodded slowly and made my way to Rylee's house.

I rang the chirpy doorbell, hearing the sound fill the quiet house. I swallowed as thumps echoed down the stairs and crossed my fingers.

Rylee opened the door, still in her llama nightgown and fluffy rabbit slippers. Her blond hair was in overnight heatless curlers, but I knew they wouldn't work, because she died with her pin-straight hair.

She frowned. "Arlea?" She opened the door a little wider, peeking her head out to see if it was just me. She frowned deeper. "What are you doing here?" Here, as in, her house, that I'd never been in before, that I had the address of just in case.

"I'm not feeling... well." I coughed.

"Like, sick?" She asked, pulling her hand out to rest on my forehead.

I stopped her. "No, I just feel like taking a break from school. Thought you could join me?"

She laughed. "Skip school? Who are you and what have you done to Arlea Harrington?"

I laughed weakly. "Come on, it'll be fun. We could go to that diner, go bowling..." Her lips curled into a smile and I nudged her with a laugh. "You know you want to."

"I do..." She smiled. "Let me get ready first. Come in." She must have seen my expression and gestured to the empty driveway. "They've both gone to work. Now, come on." She pulled me inside.

I looked around the modern, squeaky clean house. It seemed like a year since I was last here.

It was three days ago.

I felt a pang of guilt when I remembered Rylee's mother holding me tightly, making me promise to help her get to know Rylee more than she ever did.

"Everything okay?" Rylee called from the top of the stairs.

"Yeah, it just looks so..."
"Empty?" She shrugged. "Come into my room and that will change. You'll see so much mess you'll miss this room." I laughed, following her up the stairs.

I looked around her room as she fiddled with her hair. Everything was the exact same. The mess on the bed, the pillow thrown to the side...

"Ugh, the curlers didn't work." Rylee complained, untangling her hair, some of her blond hair sticking to curlers. My smile was small as I watched her leave the curlers on the table, just like I saw it there three days ago.