Part 5

Carl. As I awoke in my bed the next morning, I tried convincing myself he was all I would focus on. I had to let Rylee die today. I had to let her die, alone, because today I needed to be with Carl.

I skipped breakfast, running to the early bus. I met Ethan standing outside the school, waiting for me. "Morning," He said, his mind clearly elsewhere.

"Morning." I breathed, shouldering my backpack. "When does Carl enter the school?"

"8:07 AM, every single morning." Ethan stated. "His gun is always in his backpack."

"Have you tried—"

"Yes," He interrupted. "I've tried stealing it, I've tried destroying it, tried evacuating the school... nothing works."

"Then what the hell are we doing here?" I snapped. "If we can't stop him, can't we try saving Rylee instead?"

"Rebecca and Manny." Ethan whispered. "The other kids that died." The silence between us was uncomfortably loud. "I've done everything, Arlea. But what I haven't done is confront Carl about the loop. I didn't even think that could be an option until... Well, you." He straightened and for the first time that morning, looked me in the eye. "That's what we're here to do." He walked ahead, not waiting for me. I swallowed back some words and followed him.

He led me to behind the lockers, where we had a clear view of the entrance. I crouched, waiting patiently, while Ethan stood above me. He nudged me to check my phone. The second we laid eyes on the bright screen the time switched from 8:06 AM to 8:07 AM. Our eyes flickered to the entrance. Nobody entered.

"Are you sure it was 8:07?" I whispered, looking up to his eyes, which were frowning at the entrance, confused.

"Of course I'm sure." He hissed. "Your phone must be lagging." He dug his own phone out of his backpack and read the time silently.

"What does it say?" I whispered impatiently.

"It doesn't make sense." He said, his eyes glued to the screen. I stood, tip-toeing to look over his shoulder.

8:09 AM

"Let's go, Arlea." Ethan zipped up his backpack, finally snapping back to reality.

"Where?"

"If he's not here now, he's not coming." He replied calmly. Students started to enter the school, laughing and chatting with their friends. They gave Ethan and I weird looks, like it was strange to see us together. "We should go." Ethan said quietly.

"But Rylee."

"Rylee's about to have a normal school day while wondering where her best friend is." Ethan said, pulling me out of the school with him.

"And where exactly will her best friend be?" I asked, pulling my arm out of his grip. He turned to face me, his face hard and dark.

"Paying Carl Anderson a visit."

Carl lived in an average house surrounded by other identical ones. There was a small yard out front, scattered with childrens toys, like soft footballs and toy trucks. A motorbike was parked next to it. I recognised that bike. It was in front of the school before the shooting. So strange to think that he had a normal morning, eating his breakfast, heading to school, and zipping up his backpack with a gun hidden in it, about to fire nine shots and kill three kids.

We stepped over the overgrown grass and onto his doorstep. The door was slightly open. Ethan and I exchanged glances. He stepped in front of me, pushing the door open with a slight push from his hand. He peeked inside the dark house.