7. Imperium

After Samuel closed the door to the library, he looked up to meet his brother's gaze.

"Is Jax in there?" Demien asked. Samuel sighed and nodded. Demien eyed him for a moment before walking closer to his brother. "What?"

"She's reading up on how her abilities and yours work together. I'm afraid she'll spend the entire day there actually," Samuel chuckled. Demien only raised a brow, crossing his arms over each other.

"What else?" Demien asked flatly. Samuels eyes met his brothers, brows furrowed.

"What do you mea-"

"Don't play stupid with me. What did you say to her?" Demiens tone was harsh. The night before on his way back to his room from his dinner with Jax, he had overheard Samuel pleading with their parents to not let her stay. That there would be an uprising if anyone found out about her arrival, one they couldn't afford.

Samuel stuck his hands in his pant pockets slowly as his lips parted slowly, ready to say something when the library doors opened. As Jax stepped out, Demien's facial features softened and Samuel shot her a smile. She looked at the two and raised a brow.

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything.." Jax said, breaking the silence. As she closed the door Demien looked down at the book in her hand and then met her eyes as he shook his head.

"You didn't. What's that? Don't tell me it's a coloring book." He teased. Jax rolled her eyes but smiled at him as she tapped the cover gently.

"I was reading up on how we can help Aurora regain its power. But as I was reading.. it occurred to me that I haven't been here for a decade. I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue if I ventured out for a bit.." Jax noticed Samuel tensing up a bit, as if he wanted to say it wasn't possible for her to do so. "I know I'm no prisoner, but I'm someone who isn't completely trusted yet. Which is why if one of you would like to tag along I wouldn't oppose it. I'd actually prefer a guide.." She added. Samuel raised a brow and smirked, looking at Demien whose gaze was still on Jax.

"He'll go with you." Samuel pointed to Demien. "I was just on my way to speak to my parents about letting you stay. In fact I better get going before they begin their everyday duties." Samuel nodded to both of them before he began to walk away. Demien turned to his brother with an unamused expression on his face as he left, but turned back to Jax when she spoke again.

"Well then, I think we should get going too. I saw some storm clouds heading this way this morning." She stated. Demien nodded.

"I did as well, let's go." Demien noticed the look on her face as she tilted her head slightly, looking him over, noticing he didn't have a single weapon on him.

"Do you need to grab anything before we go?" She asked. He could only let out a chuckle when she questioned him. As he held out the palms of his hands, the tattoos on them glowed a shiny deep purple color.

"I have everything I need right here." He said with a smirk on his face. "In fact," he began sarcastically, but didn't say anything else as he grabbed her hands. Black smoke immediately engulfed the two. Jax felt as though she had only blinked once as the smoke cleared. The dark green forest came into view immediately. Raindrops began to fall down as the clouds overhead grew darker. It was already raining in this part of the kingdom. She looked at Demien as she punched his side, letting out a huff of air as he laughed.

"I'm sorry. I know you like a warning bu-" his sentence was cut short as she turned her attention away from him. His brows furrowed as he watched her turn towards the rubble that lay in front of them. Almost every home was made of stone, newer buildings in the distance made of wood or brick. He let go of her hands slowly as she began walking towards the rubble. He followed behind her, her amber eyes examining everything around her. It was quiet. Abandoned.