Chapter Twenty-Three - Jane Marple's Busy Weekend

Chapter Twenty-Three – Jane Marple's Busy Weekend

Adrian read Lena's message again.

Varlowe had given the bank a loan. And Varlowe knew about his uncle's money laundering activities.

The puzzle pieces were finally falling into place.

That fit in with the conversation he had with Philip.

Palmer had lobbied for approval for Varlowe to buy Newswire. Then James had scrapped Dad's proposed loan to Newswire. At that moment, they had wondered what leverage Varlowe had over James.

Now, it was clear.

He pinned up this new information on his board. Varlowe knew of James' illicit activities. Palmer was the go-between. The major players were all connected.

But Moriarty was not accounted for. He was close to Palmer but that provided little clue as to what Moriarty was up to. What did Moriarty want with the bank? Acquire the bank? But James and Mom still held majority of the shares.

He grabbed his hair in frustration and threw himself on the bed. He did not have enough information.

Ding!

Adrian ignored his phone. But there was a quick succession of alerts.

Adrian scowled and got up to retrieve it. And his scowl deepened. He had set notifications on his phone for any kind of news about Hamilton bank.

And now, the news had broken.

*

The television was on when Adrian entered the room. Mom was sat facing it, her hands clasped tightly in her lap, her lips pursed in a thin line as she watched the headline news.

 Feds Crack Down on Hamilton Bank After Accusations of Money Laundering 

This is another blow to the Hamilton bank who was making a slow recovery after weathering back to back crisis, the financial market crash and death of its Chairman and CEO of investment bank, Andrew Hamilton in a helicopter crash. Shares have plummeted sharply, down eight points from yesterday.

Money laundering is a federal crime under the Comprehensive Criminal Control Act. If charged, the bank might have to pay up to hundreds of millions in fines. Sources close to the investigations reveal that the Justice Department is considering criminal prosecution against top executives in the bank.

Just last week, the current Chairman and CEO of commercial banking arm, James Hamilton, was hailed for leading the bank's recover...

Adrian watched in fascinated horror as the news repeated itself in a loop. Maye if he watched it long enough, the terrible truth would finally sink in. But then, he could take it no longer. He walked up to the television and turned it off.

"Don't," Mom said softly. "We need to know what's happening."

Adrian shook his head. "We already know more than them. Henry told you everything, didn't he?"

Mom nodded, sighing.

"Don't worry," Adrian said, leaning down and holding her thin hands. "It'll be okay. Henry will find a way to solve this problem..."

"He's only one person and this is no small matter..." she said. "Sophia's just started working while you're not even out of high school." She stroked his hair. "I can't do anything and we can't even turn to family for help."

Her eyes filled with tears."James was not always the most level-headed...he had made some bad decisions before...but your father had always helped him out...but this mess that he has gotten himself into...what was he thinking?"