Chapter Twenty - Questions and Answers

Chapter Twenty – Questions and Answers

Adrian pinned up the spreadsheets on the whiteboard which had barely any white space left. It was all papers and magnets now.

“So Sophia confirmed that these are definitely Hamilton bank accounts?” Edmund asked. 

“Yep,” Adrian said, turning around to look at his friends who were all sprawled on his bed. “Must be comfortable there,” he crossed his arms and raised his eyebrows.

“Yes, Adrian, we’ll put your duvet back in place, you neat freak,” Edward replied.

Avery rolled off the bed and reached for his laptop. “By the way, the tech guys who you sent your Dad’s computer and Sophia’s laptop to have gotten back to me,” Avery said. “They said that there was a chip planted in your father’s computer, but not Sophia’s, that gave the hackers a backdoor and allowed them to remotely control the computer.”

Adrian sat down quietly. “How did they infiltrate Dad’s computer?”

There was an uneasy silence. But Adrian brushed over it and started speaking in a quick tone, “Well, can we use the chip to our advantage? It should be possible to trace the computer that is controlling the chip and even hack it right. This is more complicated than anything you and i have ever done but if we get help, we can do it...”

Avery listened closely. “Yes, it is possible.”

They split up the work.

*

I was bouncing up and down in my seat, way too excited to keep still. It was the regional karate tournament, semi-finals and on my god –

“Watch that kick!” I yelled as Avery’s opponent swung his leg in a high arc, barely missing Avery. “Go Avery! Go!”

“If that’s not fan girl behaviour, I don’t know what is,” Danielle said, snorting. “Whoever said she wasn’t an aspiring fan girl?” 

“Shh, you’re distracting me,” I shushed Danielle and turned my full attention to the match. The referee had awarded a point for the opponent. 

“Come on Avery!” I screamed. The two guys were bouncing on the balls of their feet around the mat, sizing each other up but none making a move. 

Then, Avery’s hand shot out and hit the opponent in the chest before following it up with a powerful back kick. 

“YES!” I jumped up from my seat and fist-pumped. “YES!” 

“Point!” the referee called. 

I turned to hi-five Runa, vice-captain of the karate team. We clutched each other excitedly, hopping up and down. 

Meanwhile, on my right side, Danielle was shaking her head disapprovingly even as she snapped photos of the match. 

“What?” I asked. “He’s good – ” Everyone gasped as Avery feigned a few jabs and then perfectly executed a spinning roundhouse kick. 

“Oh my god!” Runa and I were shrieking again and continued to do so for rest of the match. It was a close one but Avery won. 

“Is she always like this?” I heard someone behind me ask. I turned around where Edmund, Edward and Adrian were sitting, all with raised eyebrows.

“Is there something wrong?” I asked pointedly. 

“How come you don’t cheer like that at lacrosse matches?” Edward whined. 

“Sorry, but karate’s better,” I shrugged.