Bear?!

...

(Y/N)'s P.O.V

My ears pick up the faint singing in the castle main hall.

Mor'du, Mor'du...

Merrick slowly opens the door to the kitchen, peaking inside and finding no one inside.

My stomach twists with nerves as we enter, Merrick carefully carrying the cake to the table.

He grabs the heating kettle in the fireplace, making a cup of tea and setting the cake on a small silver plate, setting up the meal in a cute, elegant way. He carefully placed the last berry and put a thistle as decoration besides the cake, nodding to himself when he deems it ready.

I frown anxiously, looking down at the display. "Merrick, are you sure we should--"

We both gasp and jump when the door to the kitchen leading outside was slammed open, a figure standing in the doorway.

"Merrick! (Y/N)!" Elinor says with relief as she enters, surprising me.

"Mum!" Merrick breathes out, stammering, "I-I, uh, er, I... Uh..."

"Oh! I've been worried sick!" Elinor cries, walking forward, her face stricken with relief and she grabs my arms, looking me over with concern.

"You... You were...?" Merrick mumbles as she continues looking over my face.

"I didn't know where ya'd gone or when you'd come back!" She looks over Merrick and fusses over him, "I didn't know what to think!"

"Sorry to worry you, my Queen," I stammer apologetically, glancing at Merrick.

Elinor's eyes land on my outfit and she sighs, looking at Merrick's, "Oh! Look at your suit..."

"Oh," Merrick blinks in surprise, "Angus threw me. But-- But I'm not hurt!"

"Well, you're home now. So that's the end of it," Elinor sighs in relief, making my eyes widen.

Merrick looks over at me with his mouth gaping slightly, eyes full of shock before he looks back at his mother.

"Honestly?" Merrick stares at her with disbelief as she continues.

"I've pacified the Lords for now. Your father's out there... 'entertaining' them," she stifles a snort as she smiles with amusement.

...

"Come taste my blade, you manky bear for gobbling up my leg!"

Fergus sings for the lords, who all stare back at him with annoyed expressions as the others in the hall cheer and laugh as they sing along.

"I'll hunt ya, then I'll skin ya, hang your noggin on a peg!"

Mor'du, Mor'du...

...

My heart sinks as she continues, "of course... we both know a decision still has to be made."

Merrick's face falls, and he looks over at me and shakes his head with a scoff, grabbing the tray with the cake.

He presents it with at tight lipped smile, his eyebrow twitching lightly.

Elinor seemed surprised, blinking rapidly. "What's this?"

"It's a peace offering," Merrick casually lies. "I made this. For you."

"You..." she looks at him in shock, "made this for me?"

Elinor grabs her fork and cuts a slice, all while I guilty watch and fiddle with my dress as I force a small smile on my face.

She takes a bite and hums in thought, her smile fading to a grimace as she shivers in disgust.