Listen

...

(Y/N) P.O.V

I let out a sigh, watching Merrick clash his sword on his bed post in aggravation, his face bright red with anger as grunts while hitting the sharp blade on the wood, chipping it away.

"Merrick? I-- I'm... sorry..." I quietly speak, wanting to comfort him but not knowing how as I remain sitting on his bed.

"For what?" Merrick breathlessly replies, his tone low and still furious as he shakes his head. "This isn't your fault. It's hers," he growls back, slamming his sword against the bed post once more and creating a large dent.

His door opens and he continues to hit his post, grunting as his scowl deepens. Elinor gracefully walks in, looking at me for a moment before walking towards a chessboard.

"Mother." Merrick speaks lowly as he looks to her, his eyes narrowed. "Suitors? Marriage?!" He demands, looking at me and back to her.

Elinor doesn't speak for a moment, ignoring what he said before starting a story.

"Once there was an ancient kingdom..."

"Ugh. Mum!" Merrick growls with annoyance and flops onto his bed next to me, letting his body slide to the floor as he drops his sword. "Ancient kingdom," he mocks in a grumble.

"Its name long forgotten," Elinor continues without paying him any mind, bringing a chessboard with its pieces on it. "Ruled by a wise and fair king who was much beloved." She shows the white king to us, setting the board down.

"When he grew old he divided the kingdom among his four sons," I recall, making her smile and nod.

"That they should be the pillars on which the peace of the land rested," Elinor continues, picking up the board and resting it on four chess pieces, three white and one black.

"What comes next, (Y/N)?" She asks, clearly knowing but wanting me to answer.

"The eldest wanted to rule the land for himself." I reply quietly, making Merrick look at me.

"That's right. He followed his own path and the kingdom fell." She yanks the black piece out form under the board, making it fall and crash onto the floor, the pieces scattering. "To war, to chaos, and ruin."

"That's a nice story," Merrick sarcastically replies, rolling his eyes from his spot on the floor.

"It's not just a story, Merrick," Elinor sighs softly, looking back at him as she shakes her head. "Legends are lessons, they ring with truths."

Merrick rolls his eyes once more. "Och, mum."

"I would advise you make your peace with this. The clans are coming all this way to present their suitors," Elinor firmly says, placing a hand on her hip with a stern scowl.

I sigh and Merrick looks over at me, gritting his teeth as he runs an aggravated hand through his hair.

"It's not fair." He grits back, his jaw clenched in anger.

Elinor scoffs and rolls her eyes, "och. Merrick, it's marriage. It's not the end of the world."

Just as she gracefully entered she left, the two of us left in a silence. I look down at him as he suddenly swiftly rises, stomping to his door and slamming it shut with an angry shout.

...

Third Person P.O.V

Elinor grumbles, stitching (H/C) string onto a tapestry. She finishes and backs up, looking at her work and muttering.