35

A few months later.....

"Keep watch, Merlin. I'll drop it inside" Arthur whispered. Merlin nodded and opened the door a crack so he could keep watch without being noticed.

Arthur looked around Lady Mira's chambers, clutching the box in his hand. Where was he supposed to put it?!

"Hurry up!" Merlin hissed from the door, not like him at all. He probably didn't want to be caught.

"Why don't you find a place to put it, if you're so clever" the Prince snapped. Arthur looked around. He could put it on her desk, but would she see it? Her bed? No, not there. The table?

"What are you doing in there?! Put it down somewhere!" Merlin urged looking over at him. Arthur made a face in reply and put it on her dressing table, placing the white rose on top.

"There" Arthur said proudly, though he felt awkward being in her room without permission.

"Arthur!" whispered Merlin.

"What?".

"Mira and Gwen are coming, Gwaine and the Knights are coming on the other side! There's no way out!".

"I thought I told you to keep watch!" Arthur fumed.

"You were too distracting, you stood there for ten minutes, it was annoying" Merlin retorted as he eased the door shut.

Arthur was about to answer when they heard Mira and Gwen talking outside. The two men looked around, seeing if there was anywhere to hide. Eventually they decided that under the bed was the safest option. They both managed to squeeze in.

"So anyway, they all saw! I couldn't believe it, I've never been more embarrassed!" Mira laughed walking in the door.

"I would have laughed" Gwen giggled walking in behind her and closing the door.

"Thanks for your sympathy" Mira chuckled.

"Looks like you have more birthday presents".

"The dress Percival and Elyan got me is so lovely!" Mira stated holding it up in front of the mirror. She sighed. "They're all so kind, I don't know what to do!".

"Don't do anything! Its your birthday!" cried Gwen happily. Mira laughed and walked over to her dressing table while Gwen poured both of them some wine.

Arthur held his breath as Mira picked up the white rose. "Oh!" she exclaimed and picked up the box, carefully lifting off the lid. She gasped. Inside was the most beautiful gold locket she'd ever seen, a small circle in shape with soft swirling designs on the top and when she opened it, it was even more beautiful, the Pendragon Crest was on the inside: a golden dragon with a ruby red background.

"Mira..." Gwen breathed in awe.

"I know...".

"Looks like someone went out of their way to get that for you" Gwen grinned.

"Oh?" Mira laughed, gazing at the locket.

"Hmmm....I could make many guesses as to who it was, well one to be exact".

"Guinevere!" Mira blushed. Arthur went red as well so he was glad no one would see as it was dark under the bed.

"I was just guessing" Gwen continued to joke,"So not Gwaine, not Percival, not Elyan, not Lancdelot or Leon, I don't think it was Merlin. So who does that leave?".

"The rest of Camelot's population" Mira retorted.

"I'm sorry, I'll stop teasing. But whoever gave that must really care about you. You couldn't buy anything like that in the market, it looks one of a kind" Gwen replied seriously. Mira smiled and put the locket on carefully.