Reunion

Remnants of void energy lingered over the dew-filled plains as the battle for survival abruptly concluded. With the last wisps of darkness dissipating into the nothingness, the shackled morning's rays burst free from captivity, once more gracing the lands with both its light and warmth. Staring at the blade that sat between them, Sylvie sat in shock, still trying to process the incredible yet terrifying power she'd just witnessed. Liam, whose mind seemed to be burdened with something else, absentmindedly helped Sylvie to her feet whilst disregarding her wide-eyed expression. 

"Liam, Sylvie!" Helen shouted, letting go of the children as she rushed over to them. 

Her sudden mention of their names sent a jolt through the two, temporarily breaking their stupor. 

"You came!" Helen exclaimed, wrapping her young saviour in a gentle embrace. 

Liam, who was taken aback by the sudden display of affection, stood blankly, unsure of how to react. As her arms continued to hold him, strands of her golden blonde hair hung loosely across his face, emanating a faint floral scent. Viewing the unfolding scene from the sidelines, Sylvie cleared her throat, staring at Helen with raised eyebrows as she observed her carefully. Suddenly aware of her actions, Helen quickly let go of Liam, eyes shifting over to Sylvie as her cheeks flushed bright red. 

"A-are you okay?" Helen asked, clearly flustered as she turned towards Sylvie. 

"I'll manage," Sylvie replied, wincing as she wriggled her shoulders. 

Whilst the trio conversed, both Julie and Justin rushed over to Cade's faced down, immobile body. 

"Uncle!" the children screamed as tears streamed down their faces, "Please, wake up!" 

As they continued their useless pleas, Sylvie's head drooped as she bit her lip in disgust at her own failure, "If I'd only held out a bit longer maybe..!"

"It's not your fault!" Helen consoled, staring at Liam as if hoping he too would spew words of encouragement. 

Liam, whose mind had drifted yet again, stared at the fallen warrior before saying, "He's not dead yet!" 

"W-what do you mean?" Sylvie asked, instantly looking up at Liam, not daring to believe his words. 

Helen on the other, wasted no time, immediately springing into action as her fellow companion spoke. 

As she rushed off to check on Cade, Sylvie questioned Liam, "Are you sure he's alive?" 

Liam nodded in response as Helen gently pried the children away before placing a finger in front of the injured man's nose. 

Looking up, a smile appeared on her lips as she called out, "He's still breathing!"

Clearly relieved by Cade's unmistakable sign of life, Sylvie turned towards Liam with a confused look, "How'd you know he was still alive?"

Realizing his blunder, Liam averted his eyes as his mind scrambled to find a suitable excuse. He certainly couldn't tell her the truth, that he knew Cade was alive due to the lack of Void Essence leaking from his body. No, that would only serve to further complicate an already complicated situation. 

Shrugging nervously, Liam settled on a half baked response, "I just had a feeling he wasn't dead yet."

Taking his vague response into account, Sylvie got the feeling that Liam wasn't in the mood to say anything more on the matter. Deciding to drop the topic, she plucked her sword from the earth, flicking it gently, removing the loose soil from the slender blade as she did so, before sheathing it at her waist. Retrieving the sword he'd lain at her feet, Josh handed it over to Sylvie, who repeated the same process before putting the weapon away.