g o o d n i g h t

MAIA GOLDBERG/RHEE
"The Loner Turned Lover"

MAIA GOLDBERG/RHEE"The Loner Turned Lover"

Five Days Later...

*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚

"And since you placed your Pawn there..." Beth places another piece on the board and knocks one of mine over to the side. "Checkmate." She says confidently, arms leaning on the table with an annoyingly cocky smirk.

"Wait," I begin and stare at the board. "But if I place this here..." I begin to move my Bishop towards her Queen but she sucks in some air.

"Not how that works."

I sigh and return my Bishop, searching for another piece to help advance me towards the win, which seems impossible at this point.

"What if I-"

"Nope."

"But I can still-"

"Nuh-uh."

In pure defeat, I sigh and bang my head on the metal table. "Just win already." I mutter and listen to the sounds of a piece being shifted off the board and placed on the table, another piece entering its disregarded slot. Not even bothering to look up, I respond. "Good game."

"Good game." I can practically hear Beth's smile as she speaks and begins to collect the board and pieces in a small bag.

With heavy feet, I stand. "Well," I clutch my chest to mimic a heartbreak. "After that tremendously, mortifyingly, saddening loss...I need some water." The blonde laughs lightly and lays down on her bottom bunk. "Need anything?" I ask from the doorway.

"Nope!" She responds. "G'night, Maia." I watch as she shifts to face the wall, eyes falling shut softly.

"Night," I respond with a smile as I slide the curtain to our cell shut behind me.

Making my steps as silent as possible, I walk into the main area of the cell block. My eyes pass around the concrete room and watch the white light of the moon pour through the metal bars of the windows. Eventually, after standing for a good few seconds, I feel a something small drop on the top of my head. I look down at my feet, finding a small, crumpled piece of paper. My gaze shifts upwards and I find a boy in an oversized Sheriffs Hat leaning against the railing of the second floor, smirking down at me.

I sigh with a smile and start moving towards the nearby metal staircase. Carl mimics my movements and heads towards the top of the steps.

"Got the goods?" I whisper as I reach the second floor. He bites his lip into a smile and opens a brown satchel slung over his shoulder. Inside are around three chocolate bars, most likely pretty old but still as delicious as ever. "Hell yeah. Lets go." We rush over to ladder that allows access to the roof, a place that has become a regular area for us to venture to at night.