h e l l s c a p e

MAIA GOLDBERG/RHEE
"The Loner Turned Lover"

MAIA GOLDBERG/RHEE"The Loner Turned Lover"

*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚

Gunshots erupt like firecrackers in the still, silent night. Screams and unintelligible shouts send horrifying shivers up and down my spine as I shoot up from my sleeping bag.

My eyes adjust to the darkened tent as my hands scramble for a nearby flashlight. Turning it on, the small "room" is illuminated and I find my friends Riley and Sean similarly sat up in bed, eyes blown wide with horror and shock.

"Maia-" Riley begins but I hush her with a finger to my lips.

Another chilling scream and what seemed to sound like a knife slice was followed by a body hitting the dirt.

My heart drops.

"Maia, look." I follow Riley's finger to the empty sleeping bag off our roommate, Jamison, and my mind starts to connect the dots.

Frantically, I snatch my duffel bag and rummage through it, looking for my pistol in a rush. After a while, my hand lacks to find the cool metal of my gun.

"Are your guns gone?" I aggressively question at my friends. In response they search the ground around them littered with their belongings, but shake their head once they discover their weapons have similarly disappeared.

"My knife is still here," Sean says, holding up his sharp dagger.

"Good," I swiftly grab a Swiss Army knife from my bag and slide it across the ground and over to Riley. "Hold onto that." She nods.

As the continued sound of screaming and ceaseless shouting ensues, I drop to the ground of the tent and crawl over to the zippered opening. With gentle movements I pull the zipper up and over, just enough to peak outside.

I go pale at the sight.

The fire is still raging aggressively from a few hours ago before I went to sleep, but the ground surrounding is littered with bodies. Blood is splattered across the dirt and nearby trees. The dead seem to either have had a bullet shot through their chest or blade dragged across their throat. My eyes dart from place to place and eventually fall on two figures, the culprits of the mass murder. The glow from the fires embers is enough for me to see the two boys I once considered friends, Jamison and Henry.

I watch in pure disbelief as one of our camp leaders makes an effort to appease them, but the boys show no mercy. Henry forces the elder man down to his knees and Jamison shoots him directly through his heart.

I pull my head away from the opening and look to Sean and Riley, who are staring back at me with similar wide-eyed expressions.

"It's Henry and Jamison. I have no idea what the fuck they're doing but you two need to stay here." I reach across to my Bowie Knife that I keep buried underneath my sleeping bag. As I get up to leave the tent, Sean grabs my arm.