XLIII

At long last, the first day of the long awaited festival arrived.

Townsfolk of the Grand Ale busied with final preparations, but also engaged in minor celebrations before the main one began. The day was bright enough to make a spark in firewood, yet a nice gale blew into shades and through curtains, carrying with it the mouthwatering aroma of different delicacies. Here and there, a child would sniff the air until they keeled, earning rushes of laughter from whoever saw. The sight of crackling sparks from numerous fireworks held by chattering younglings as they ran helter skelter intensified the merry atmosphere. Traces of dull winter fast fell behind, and a sudden strong heat made all the leaves turn orange and brown. The sky took on a lovely shade of blue and brilliant white clouds gathered on its glade, floating by as if passing only to catch a glimpse of the merry meeting below.

Before midnoon, cheerful music from various wind instruments wafted into the air and children took to dancing in groups in the main square whilst chewing on seedy fruits or toothsome pastries. Their natural vigor began to rile up several adults, who also jollificated in pairs. No sooner had this begun than the entire main square became crowded with merrymakers. Noise progressively heightened, music grew louder and occasionally changed in rhythm; foods went about in trays, men of class ignored the pride of their titles to join the rabble, women carved out cookies for the smaller ones while partaking in the general merriments; patrol guards streamed in and out for a plate, or a flagon of ale to bring to their stations.

The fun and excitement grew to its peak when night fell.

A large bonfire was made and a huge crowd danced around it, laughing and rejoicing. The tireless musicians rolled out harmonies that made the heart soar and sent every listener into elation.

Meanwhile, the faint sounds of chirping crickets, croaking frogs, and a hooting owl from somewhere amongst the trees was all Waverly could hear. She was seated inside an upturned fruit barrow just beneath the eaves of the Master House with one leg drawn up to her chest. Parliament Hill was left undisturbed by the total absence of its inhabitants. She knew where they had all gone – to the main square to have a most swell evening. The moon was outstanding and bathed the environment in the sharpest silver glow yet. Cool winds frequently blew in her direction, bringing wisps of pleasing fragrances into her nose. She could not deny that she desired to at least descry what went on in the main square even though she had been quite content with being exempted at first.

There was absolutely nobody to speak to.

HalfHyde had gone to the Festival because unlike her, he was much allowed. Resli was there too, but had promised to bring back as many party favors as her short arms could contain.

"Would make you feel you did not miss out at all, Heltryd." The Dwarf woman had assured.

Waverly heaved a sigh and inclined into the barrow's cold, iron surface. If she sat outside to await HalfHyde's return, it would take up the whole evening because Lord Malcer had told her that the festivities would pause for four hours just before daybreak to allow attendants rest enough for the next celebration later at noon. It would be a continuous cycle for four whole days. A cycle she was not part of.

The one thing that cheered her up was Judson, whom she had spent nearly half the entire day with. They had spoken at length about their halted journey and unwillingness to continue with it. It unsettled her to learn that Oculmus spoke to him often, but Judson promised that the Elemental had lost sway over his mind and body. Instead, it was he who was in control of the godhead's essence; being able to suppress him at will. As long as he did not succumb to the deity's mind related taunts and twisted words, he was safe.

In spite of Judson's new delicious oat filled milksop, his feathery kisses on her cheeks and lips, innocent adulations, jokes and melting stares, she felt strangely unsated. Her true desire was to be amongst the merry lot in the main square. She had begun to consider sneaking into town just to have a peep of the fair when she realized that two figures had approached. It was surprising that she failed to notice them until they were standing only a few walks away from where she sat.