Ups & Downs- 11

I had gotten back home late at night yesterday and hoped that everyone had already gone to bed but that wasn't the case, unfortunately.

As I put my key into the lock of the front door, it was flung open. I looked up to see Trevor standing there with a worried expression.

"I"m back," I informed him.

He saw my red and tired eyes and his expression instantly softened.

He closed the door and locked it.

He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and allowed my face to be buried in the cotton of his shirt. Tears started to well up in my eyes as I stood there wrapping my arms around his strong waist tightly.

I took a deep breath, trying to fight the tears from falling from my eyes.

The tightening in my chest was still there and it pained me more whenever the event of that day came back into my mind.

After a moment, Trevor let go of me and went to make me a cup of my favourite tea. He said coffee might be too strong for me at that time and that I should just settle for tea. He had sent Meg to bed already and told me how worried she was about me.

"What happened Rina? Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

At that time, I had directed my gaze to the steaming mug of tea in my trembling hands.

I thought about not giving him an answer but when I looked up and saw how sincere and worried he looked, I decided to tell him a little about my buried past.

"I'm surprised you are still clueless, Trev," I told him, trying to make it sound funny. "It was all over the news two years ago."

Trev was silent. His steely grey was set directly on my eyes and I can't look away.

I took a sip of the tea he prepared and sighed.

"The person who is making this sad and this messed up is the one person I cherished the most in this entire existence. This is sounding pretty cliche," I said giving him a cheeky smile. "His name is William Everdeen."

I looked up to meet Trevor's gaze, expecting to see him shocked.

"I expected it," he stated. "It's pretty obvious, because the moment you saw his name on that paper that day, you couldn't do anything. But I didn't think it'd be so serious."

"What shocked me so much was that he is now dating one of my closest friend. I would know that they were together before the article but I didn't." I falter slightly.

After a few awkward moment, Trevor said, "Why don't you tell me about that incident."

I closed my eyes. Trevor genuinely wanted to know about me. I haven't told him anything about my past even though he had opened to me about him. This may sound unfair but if I were to tell him all about the incident, I don't think I'll be able to hold back whatever feelings I've tried to bury before. I know it'll feel like ripping all the seams on the injuries William had inflicted and ones I've tried badly to heal.

"I"m sorry Trev. I just- just can't," I said shaking my head.

I had set my eyes on the door of the kitchen.

He stood up. I looked at him.

He had his face angled away from me so I couldn't really see his face.

"You should go sleep Rina. It's been a really long day and it's already late," he told me and walked away.

"Trev. Wait." I call for him. I didn't feel great after what I told him.

But the words wouldn't form. I didn't want to hurt myself again.

He stopped but didn't turn around. "You have to face your fears Rina. If not, it's going to consume you."

The words kept me frozen. What he said is true, of course but how am I supposed to do that?

He walked back up afterwards.

I know I had hurt him by not trusting to tell him about my past but I just still can't face my fears. Yet.

This morning, I wake up late with a heavy heart. I couldn't sleep well last night and now I feel extremely tired.

I walk down, seeing only Meg but no Trevor.

The interior of Challenges doesn't smell like the usual buttery and sugary scent that I'm getting pretty used to. Instead it smells plain. There's no smell of fresh pastry wafting out from the kitchen.

"Hey, you're awake," Meg greets me. She doesn't look as full of energy as she used to look. There are dark circles around her eyes and she seems tired.

"Hey, morning. So where's Trev?" I ask.

"He told me to tell you that he has gone to face his fears and that you should as well," Meg says. "I don't know what happened last night but Trev seemed deeply affected by it."

"By his fears, do you mean working for his father?" I ask her.

She nods.

What have I done? Working for his dad means working for his stepmother and Trevor hates her with all his heart.

I've lead him to someone he feels disgusted of.

What have I done?

A/N: It'd be awesome to vote for this story if you liked it.

And don't forget to comment what you think of Trevor's decision to go back to his father's.

xxVic