Chapter 6: The Hogwarts Express

On August 31st, Harry decided he should speak to the Dursleys about getting to King's Cross. He crept down the stairs, afraid they would punish him for making noise. He followed the noise of the TV into the living room and stood there for a moment. When no one turned to look at him, he cleared his throat.
"What do you want, Boy?"
"Er...well, I need to be at King's Cross tomorrow to catch the train to school. I was wondering if you would take me there."
"And why would we do that?"
"Well, err...I don't know, but Professor Dumbledore told me to ask you." Harry noticed that Petunia and Vernon blanched at the name and exchanged a glance.
"I don't suppose you could get there any other way."
"No, sir."
"Well, then, we'll take you just to get rid of you. Make sure you're ready early. What time does that ruddy train leave?"
"At eleven."
"Make sure you're ready by seven. And we'll expect breakfast."
"Of course, Uncle Vernon."
"Now, go up to your room." Harry turned and trudged back to his room. He packed his trunk quickly, then spent the rest of the evening searching every place he could think of in his room to be sure he hadn't missed anything.
Harry slept fitfully that night. He had horrible nightmares: that the Dursleys wouldn't take him to King's Cross, that he lost his ticket and wasn't allowed into the station, that he forgot his trunk, and that he wasn't allowed on the train. After each dream, he sat bolt upright breathing hard. He finally managed to fall into a dreamless sleep after assuring himself that he could write to Dumbledore if there were any problems.
He was up bright and early the next morning. After checking his school list one more time, he ran downstairs to start breakfast. He was just placing the last plate on the table when Petunia, Vernon, and Dudley walked in. They all tucked in, Harry to a larger portion than he would usually allot himself. Finally, Vernon barked at Harry to fetch his things and get in the car. Harry ran upstairs, only to skid to a halt in front of his trunk. He could hardly move it, much less lift it.
After staring at it forlornly for a few moments, he picked up Hedwig's cage and walked downstairs.
"Uncle Vernon, I need help with my trunk."
"And you expect me to help you carry the things for that freak school of yours?"
"If you don't help me, sir, then I can't go. I need my trunk." Harry could see this was the right thing to say. Vernon glowered for a moment then went up to Harry's room yelling at him to follow. Harry did so, fearful of the consequences if he did not, although he did not know how it would help.
Vernon tried to make Harry carry the trunk alone, but finally conceded that it was too large. He settled on helping Harry take it downstairs, as he was nearly desperate to get the boy out of his house. They succeeded in getting the trunk into Vernon's car. Harry was wedged into the backseat between it and Hedwig's cage.
Harry had expected a quiet ride, however it was anything but. Vernon ranted about weirdoes the entire ride. He managed to bring up every odd thing that had ever happened around Harry. He also had a nice rant about magic. He hated any type of magic, both real and the muggle version.
By the time they reached the station, Harry bolted from the car. He grabbed a trolley and ran back to the car. Vernon shoved his trunk onto the trolley then got back into the car and drove off without so much as a good-bye. Slightly disheartened, Harry balanced Hedwig's cage on his trunk and wheeled the trolley into the station.
He pulled out his ticket and really looked at it for the first time. He was to leave from platform 9 ¾ at eleven on the Hogwarts Express. He read it again. And again. Platform 9 ¾? Was this some sort of joke? Or maybe a test? Yes, probably a test.
Harry gulped. He didn't have even the slightest idea how he would do this. He thought for a moment and figured platform 9 ¾ must be between platforms 9 and 10, so he would do best to go to that general area. He wandered around for a while following the signs for the platforms, but managed to get lost. He was panicked when by 10:45 he had yet to even find platform 9. He finally came across a station manager's desk and got directions. He found his way to platform 9 and took a look around. Suddenly, someone was tugging on his arm.
"Come on, Harry. You're going to be late. You only have three minutes."
"Draco?!" Harry was elated to see someone he knew. However, Draco was frantically pulling him to the barrier between platforms 9 and 10.
"We go through here. Come on, you first. Oh, Aunt Bella and mother will be so sad we don't have time to say good-bye. Through the barrier, Harry. Take it at a run, it's easier." Draco all but shoved Harry through the barrier then ran through himself . "Crabbe, Goyle!" Harry covered his ears at Draco's scream. Almost instantly though, two other boys appeared and helped them get Harry's trunk on board. As soon as they were all on, the doors slammed shut and the train began to move.
Harry, Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle all found an empty compartment and stowed their trunks on the racks after pulling out their robes. They quickly changed then settled in to enjoy the ride.
"I was worried you weren't going to be on the train. I'd been waiting for you at that barrier for about an hour. Thank goodness you came when you did." His face suddenly fell. "But poor Aunt Bella. She must be devastated. That's twice now she's hoped to see you again. She cried for hours last time. Not to mention Lettie. She was practically in hysterics. "
"Um, see me again?" Draco suddenly sat upright looking shocked.
"I shouldn't have told you! Aunt Bella will kill me. She wanted to tell you first. Please, just forget I said that." Harry was so bewildered by the boy's instantly changing moods that he instantly agreed. "Thanks, Harry. Oh! Where are my manners? This here is Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle." Each boy nodded at Harry as his name was spoken. Harry nervously murmured, "hello."
"So, Draco, tell me about Hogwarts."
"Well, I guess the first thing to know is..."
"Mind if I sit here, Malfoy?" Harry turned to look at the newcomer in surprise. The last time he had heard so much venom in a child's voice was when Dudley and his gang attacked him. The newcomer was tall and gangly with bright red hair and freckles. He wore an expression of distaste. Harry instantly disliked him.
"Why don't you go sit with the other Weasleys? These seats are taken."
"You don't get to hog a whole compartment."
"My friends are on their way."
"Like you have any." As Draco sputtered in indignation. The redhead turned to Harry. "You must be Harry Potter. The whole train is talking about you. I'm Ron, by the way. Why don't you come sit in my brothers' compartment? You don't have to hang around with scum." He offered Harry his hand, but Harry just looked at it.
"Well, then, I guess I should stay here."
"Are you calling me scum?"
Draco laughed. "Sort of sounds that way. Get out of here, Weasley!" Crabbe and Goyle shoved Ron out of the compartment and slammed the door. Draco turned back to Harry. "Now, where were we?"
Draco answered Harry's questions nonstop until the food trolley arrived then continued after they had purchased some snacks. He covered the four houses (Harry definitely wanted to be in Slytherin), Quidditch (which Harry was eager to watch and try), flying and broomsticks, the different lessons, and finally the instructors. Sometime during their conversation, Draco's friends popped in. Draco introduced them as Blaise Zabini and Daphne Greengrass. They stuck around for a while, generally talking about the school. When they left, Draco started talking about the different sweets they were eating. He told Harry all about Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans and chocolate frogs and their cards which struck up a conversation about all sorts of sweets, both muggle and wizard.
A short time later an older boy approached the compartment.
"Hello Draco, Vincent, Gregory." The boy said with a smile. Harry was shocked at how much he looked like him. At least at first glance. The older boy's skin was just a bit paler then his, with a dusting of freckles across his face. Not to mention his hair seemed a bit more manageable then his, reminding Harry of raven feathers. The one thing that was similar was both of their eyes were bright emerald green. "Do you lot mind if I sit here?" He asked with a smile. Draco smiled and nodded.
"This is Alex Fleamont Prince. He's my godbrother. His dad is my godbrother.
"And your future potions professor." Alexander reminded Draco with a grin.
The five sat together as Alexander answered everyone's questions about Hogwarts and the first year classes.
Not long after it got dark, the compartment door slid open to reveal a girl with lots of bushy brown hair and slightly large front teeth.
"Have any of you seen a toad? Neville's lost one." It was then Harry noticed the tearful, round-faced boy behind her.
Alexander sighed and shook his head.
"Hold on Nev, I'll help you find him." He said as he stood up. He gave the lot of them a wave and a smile before walking out to Neville. Draco looked at Neville with a small smile.
"You're Neville Longbottom, Alexander's other godbrother, right?" He asked.
The boy nodded. "I'm sure your toad will turn up. I'm Malfoy, this is Harry, that's Crabbe, and Goyle. And you are?" The bushy haired girl looked at him.
"I'm Hermione Granger. It's nice to meet you all. We're off to find Neville's toad." She turned and flounced out of the compartment leaving an awestruck Draco in her wake.
"Who is she? I've never heard of the Grangers." The other boys shrugged.
"Why did you introduce me by my first name, Draco?"
"Isn't it obvious?" Harry shook his head. "Everyone knows your name, they don't know your face. I figured it would buy you a bit longer being a normal person before everyone starts hanging on you for being Harry Potter."
"Oh, thanks, Draco."
"You're welcome." Suddenly, a voice echoed through the train.
"We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train it will be taken to the school separately." Harry's stomach lurched with nerves as they all made their way to the exits. When the train came to a stop and the doors opened, they piled out with the rest of the students. Harry jumped at the sound of a loud voice booming over the noise.
"Firs' years! Firs' years over here!" A giant of a man stood towering over the group of students crowding around him. The four of them joined the group. "C'mon, follow me—Any more firs' years? Mind your step now! Firs' years, follow me!"
Slipping and sliding, they followed the man down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path. It was so dark on either side of them that Harry thought there must be thick trees there. Nobody spoke much.
"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here." Harry and Draco ooh'ed along with everyone else.
The narrow path suddenly opened onto the edge of a great black lake. Hogwarts castle with its many turrets and towers could be seen on the other side.
"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid called. Harry, Draco, Vincent, and Gregory piled into one.
"Everyone in?" Shouted Hagrid from his own boat. "Right then—FORWARD!" The little fleet of boats went flying across the glass-like surface of the lake. "Heads Down!" yelled Hagrid as the boats came to a curtain of ivy. They were now carried along a wide tunnel to an underground harbor. Hagrid checked each boat as the students clambered out to ensure no one stayed behind.
"Oy! Who's los' a toad?" Harry recognized the boy who sprang forward as Neville.
"Trevor!" He called blissfully. They all followed a path up to a large oak door. Hagrid took a quick head count then raised his fist and knocked three times on the castle door.