A WANT FOR KNOWLEDGE

The sun rose on a beautiful spring day.

Test Tube was inside her lab, mixing some chemicals. She had been doing this for a while, collecting the vials in a container. The liquid she had in her hand at the moment turned a teal color as she corked it. She placed it into the container and started on another chemical. All of this was for a reason, though, as she was starting an experiment. She placed the vial in the container, closing the container and pushing it away from the edge of the counter. She took off her white coat and her goggles, putting them on a clothes rack. As she walked over to a book, she couldn't help but giggle as she wrote in it.

''STARTING EXPERIMENT.''

Test Tube set down the book and put on her jacket, putting up her hair into a ponytail as well. She exited her lab and went to the hotel. The lobby was bustling as always. Heading to a wall, she took out a tape roll and a poster. She taped it up and left the lobby, going to her lab once more.

''KNOCK ON THE VENDING MACHINE FOR A CHANCE OF ENLIGHTENMENT! YOU MAY UNLOCK YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.''

A few hours passed, and she heard a knock above her lab. Perfect timing. She went up and saw Lightbulb, her best friend. She noticed her as well, hugging her.

"Testy! Omga omga omga, I saw that poster in the hotel! I knew it was you~"

She backed away, winking. Test Tube smiled.

"Well, Lightbulb, come in!"

Lightbulb followed Test Tube inside the lab as she led her to a sort of chamber. There looked to be at least 6 chambers, and Test Tube opened the door of the first one. She gestured for Lightbulb to enter, and she did it with a smile.

"Stay here while I get the drink!"

And so she did.
After a while, Test Tube came back with a vial in her hands, walking into the chamber and handing it to Lightbulb, exiting. The liquid inside was blood red, seeming to give off an ominous aura. Lightbulb looked hesitant.

"Go on, Lighty."

Lightbulb gulped, uncorking the vial and chugging the chemical. It didn't seem to have any effect.

"Are you sure this thing works?"
"Positive."

As soon as that word left Test Tube's mouth, Lightbulb felt her eye twitch. And then it twitched again. And again. Soon enough, she felt a piercing pain come from both her eyes, covering them with her hands as she wailed. It felt as if something were poking her eyes from behind. A minute passed of just pain, and then it worsened as it felt like her eyes were being sliced through completely. Lightbulb uncovered her eyes and saw nothing. She attempted to shut her eyes to no avail. It felt like something was keeping them open. Once the pain subsided, she tried to see what was forcing her eyes open, touching a sort of layered and thin... thing. She tried to take it off, feeling a sting. Finally, her sight returned, only seeing in shades of red. She looked at Test Tube, who seemed petrified.

While all that was happening, Test Tube saw what happened in full, gory detail. Vines had pierced through Lightbulb's eyes, blooming a red flower each. Blood was leaking from her eyesockets, and her hands were covered with it. Lightbulb looked at her, tilting her head slightly.

"Test Tube? What happened-? There's something on my eyes."
"N- Nothing. Just stay there."

She rushed off, just wanting that thing out of her sight. Was she really going to do this? She stared at the container full of colorful vials.

Then she started giggling.

There's no choice either way! She's already started. Why stop now?? She doesn't even have a cure!! There's no going back. She picked up the book, noting down her newest experiment.

''LIGHTBULB: FLOWERS IN HER EYES. SHE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO STILL SEE, THOUGH, FURTHER TESTING NEEDED. END REPORT ONE.''

The sun set on a bloody spring day.