𝚘𝚗𝚎

THE FEUD CONTINUES: Here's what we know about Louis Tomlinson's annual New Year's prank on Harry Styles

The Daily Mail - January 1, 2016

Since 2012, when singer Harry Styles got his first gig playing at Times Square on New Year's Eve, there's been an accompanying prank from his rival, Louis Tomlinson.

The two pop stars are known for their public feud, with neither ever saying anything particularly damning about the other, but showing a clear competition and willingness to tease one another. For Tomlinson, this is shown annually when he carries out his pranks against Styles while the latter is onstage in New York City. With each prank more elaborate than the last, we have to say we're a bit impressed.

Here's what we know about this year's hijinks.

Last night, Styles took the stage as he always does, with a big smile and an even bigger personality. He captured the attention of millions in New York and around the world with his performance of fan favorite "Kiwi" and his new single, "Watermelon Sugar," which is already #1 in four countries including the U.S. and Great Britain.

However, the highlight of the night (for watchers, at least) came when Styles ended his set with a cover of the song "Juice" by Lizzo. Could it be an Easter egg for a possible sighting of the famous musician on Harry's tour, set to kick off in July?

Whatever the reason, while the song was a surprise to the audience, perhaps it wasn't to Tomlinson, who, as usual, wasn't pictured at the show, despite multiple eyewitness accounts of his attendance. Whether he knew about the set list or whether it was simply a coincidence, we think he's set a new bar for his pranks with his latest one.

It consisted of large but relatively unnoticeable cannons filled with - you guessed it - juice, going off during the performance of the Lizzo cover, aimed specifically at Styles and doing their job miraculously well; the "Sweet Creature" singer was covered in juice while his band seemed relatively un-juiced.

Yikes. We wouldn't want to be Harry, that's for sure! We hope he was able to take a nice shower after that, and wasn't sticky for long!

The question is, what prank will Tomlinson think up next year? Tune in for more about this famous feud.

***

Louis is not supposed to be here. He isn't supposed to have left his house. He's definitely not supposed to be in a hotel room in New York City, celebrating another victory against his nemesis.

You see, every year for the past three, there's been a very special guest helping ring in the New Year by performing at Times Square. This guest is an internationally recognized and beloved pop star, known for his curls, cheeky attitude, groundbreaking fashion choices, and most importantly, his music.

Louis supposes that from a bystander's point of view, it might look like he ignored the suggestions - more like orders - from his managers not to leave London and flew to the Big Apple just to see Harry Styles play at Times Square.

But that is not what he did.

Well, it is, but there's a very specific reason for it.

Louis is genuinely surprised Harry keeps coming back for his New Year's show, given what happens every year, without fail. Because every year, Louis pranks him. On stage, in front of everyone.

He'd say he's sorry, but he really isn't. It's hilarious, and everyone loves it. Well, except for Harry, of course, but that's the point, isn't it?

Louis looks forward to doing this every year. He spends an almost unbelievable amount of time planning his elaborate pranks, not that he'll ever admit that to anyone, including himself.

This year, he's taken it a step further. Instead of simply publicly humiliating Harry, he's decided to ruin something he knows Harry loves: his insufferably brightly colored Gucci suits.

The one Louis covered in sticky orange juice (from Tesco, of course, to give Harry a little taste of home) was purple and shimmery, not extremely elaborate but elegant nonetheless. Louis is almost sorry he ruined it.

Almost.

***

It's a funny thing. Harry didn't think much of it the first time it happened; it's not uncommon for things to go wrong during a gig. It was December 2012, and Harry had just had his first hit single, Happily. When he was asked to perform at Times Square before the ball dropped, he couldn't believe it.

Of course, he wasn't going to pass up the opportunity. A lot of good things came from the performance, too. He met one of his best friends, Taylor Swift. He was also humiliated on national television.

Looking back, it must have been some combination of luck and mercy that the first prank was actually quite tame. The classic cut the mic chord and wait for Harry to notice nobody can hear him. It only took a few moments. Just a sea of confused faces and Sarah hissing to him that she was pretty sure the drums weren't supposed to be drowning out his voice.

Then, the next year, he was asked to play again, and he hoped for the best. He still didn't know who'd messed with the mics, but he didn't need to. He assumed it was a harmless mistake made by a sound engineer, or maybe a one-time prank.

He didn't expect to hear extremely loud duck quacks coming through the speakers during Woman. While the audience was sufficiently entertained, Harry was, frankly, a little bit angry, and definitely frustrated. Twice in a row is either some crazy coincidence or someone out to get him. It turned out it was the latter.

Louis made a split-second comment about it, alluding to his involvement with the pranks, and suddenly the entire internet was buzzing. People wondered if Harry would skip on his show that year or do it as planned.

And, because he clearly has a death wish, he decided to go through with it.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he probably wanted to somehow catch Louis in the act, get him on camera maybe, or even confront him face-to-face, so he wouldn't have the satisfaction of successfully pulling off another prank. Of course, that didn't happen, and while Harry was singing Kiwi, a small plane flew directly over Times Square, carrying a large banner reading "harry im having ur bby." It would have been funny if Louis didn't know all too well how much Harry hates grammatical errors, especially purposeful ones.

But overall, those pranks had been nothing. Quick moments; embarrassing, yes, but always over in a short amount of time.

This year, Louis took it a step further, and Harry's dangerously close to going against his own motto of treating people with kindness.

He ruined one of his suits. One of his Gucci suits.

Harry's lawyer asked if he wanted to press charges, because even she knows how much he loves his Gucci suits. It's probably unhealthy, honestly. But they're bright and beautiful and make Harry feel good about himself.

Unless, of course, they're covered in sticky orange liquid and are rendered unwearable.

The worst part was, he'd been planning to bring the sparkly purple one back during his tour. He didn't even get to unbutton it; the inside lining is a cat print, handpicked by Taylor, and of course the cats are all shouting expletives, courtesy of Harry's other best friend, Niall Horan.

Now no one will be able to appreciate its beauty, all because of Louis Tomlinson and his weird obsession with public humiliation.

Harry's read the headlines, wondering - or sometimes straight up asking - why he keeps going back to perform if he pretty much knows what's going to happen.

He doesn't even have an answer. Louis gets on his nerves, and ruins his performances, and now his suit.

But Harry keeps going back.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions?

I know I keep starting things...but this one is mainly for stress relief because it's going to be (mostly) lighthearted and funny, and who doesn't love some good pranks and "sworn enemy" tension??

Love you all, and I hope you're doing okay :D.

xoxo, K