3.2 | The Take-Off

There was no end in sight
when it came to the suspicions stacked up against Margaret.

On Wednesday morning, three days after Margaret had come back after helping Hermione, the Daily Prophet came bearing a sizzling announcement from the most horrid reporter in existence:

DUMBLEDORE:

THE TRUTH AT LAST?

Coming next week is the shocking story of the flawed genius considered by many to be the greatest wizard of his generation. Stripping away the popular image of serene, silver-bearded wisdom, Rita Skeeter reveals the disturbed childhood, the lawless youth, the lifelong feuds, and the guilty secrets that Dumbledore carried to his grave. WHY was the man tipped to be Minister of Magic content to remain a mere headmaster? WHAT was the real purpose of the secret organization known as the Order of the Phoenix? HOW did Dumbledore really meet his end?

The answers to these and many more questions are explored in the explosive new biography, The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore, by Rita Skeeter, exclusively interviewed by Betty Braithwaite, page 13, inside.

The said interview was full of wish-wash about how sinister Dumbledore's history truly was; how he possibly stole the ideas and the discoveries he claimed to have made, like his discovery of the twelve uses of dragon blood; hints at his relationship with Grindelwald; scepticisms about his mother and sister, and Rita even calling herself "close" to Harry Potter and how Dumbledore's relationship with him was unhealthy and sinister.

The interview became of interest to Margaret, however, towards the very end when Rita Skeeter was asked by Betty Braithwaite:

"Does Skeeter believe she knows who was present the night Dumbledore died?"

"Oh, I don't want to give away all the juicy details! Your readers will have to purchase my book to read the full account – although I will say this, a student was seen sitting by Albus Dumbledore's body the night he died.

Many eyewitnesses have claimed that this girl was Margaret Xenakis, a girl who only appeared in Hogwarts as a fifth year. Yet in a short time, she was deemed a 'friend' by Albus Dumbledore, allowing her access to the school's most exclusive clubs and whatnot! She was apparently the first to find him... or was she, as my theory goes, the one to truly finish him off? Perhaps poor Dumbledore was not truly dead after he fell, or was pushed, from the tower? Perhaps Potter and Xenakis were partners in crime?

Ah, when my source revealed some intriguing details about this Xenakis, I was all but sure of my theories. Your readers will find all the details in chapter fourteen of my book."

Now, Margaret had not been idling this entire month. Taking on the identity of a gypsy and lingering in Knockturn Alley was only one of the things she had done that would raise eyebrows.

One of the first things she had done after summer break started was break into Bathilda Bagshot's house. As much as she did not prefer the method, there was no other way. Margaret had erased the old woman's memory of her visit and nearly turned the whole place upside down for anything that would relate Alfréd Xenakis to her. There had been nothing. No letters, no more life-changing documents or even any proof that Bathilda knew Alfréd Xenakis at all other than just her words.

Yet, for a terrible heart-stopping moment she wondered if Mad-Eye would go as far as to convince Mr and Mrs Weasley to not let Margaret anywhere near the Burrow once the blasted book came out. Out of all the things that had happened as of late, this made Margaret's knees give out from underneath her.