7. Half-Steps and Glinting Eyes

He was sitting there, crouching with bread balancing on one lazy hand. My eyes fell onto his arm, which had almost completely healed, the gauze ripped off, showing a small crescent shaped scar in its place. 

"Sorry." I whispered. But my words tumbled weakly towards him and as he looked up I could see that in his glinting eyes he had no forgiveness to spare.

He stood up, but as he pushed himself off the ground he tried hard to hide his wincing. 

"You're dangerous." He said. His lips formed the words so eloquently that it took me a second to fully absorb their meaning. They hit me with such force, it struck and throbbed my pacing heart.

"I let my hatred for you blind me, Patroclus, and I'm sorry." I said, hoping that he would know that the words were true. 

His eyes softened for a fraction of a second.  

"You hate me?"

No. Quite the contrary.

"Yes." I said. My pride had pushed this response from my mouth. I immediately regretted what I said, but I couldn't stumble and change my answer - only a fool would do that. I couldn't deny that still I felt anger towards him, but more so towards myself.

Patroclus stood still. His eyes glinted and sparkled as they had never before.

He moved closer. A scent of oranges and something medicinal lingered around him as he took another, bold step forward.

"Achilles." 

He whispered slowly, so quietly and softly I swear I had imagined it. His breath was warm and bounced off my skin. My name sounded so stranger to me in his bemused lips. His shoulders were wide and strong. His raven eyes searched mine curiously. A single step would break the gap between us. I resisted the urge to do so, my eyes wide yet steady whilst my hands became laced in strings of sweat. The sound of laughter rang in the distance. A clatter of dishes. Another half-step. He was ever so slightly taller than me -

I hated him. I hated him. I hated him. I ha-

"Don't lie."

...