Chapter 1: Ara

I run through the meadow, holding my staff behind me. Running made me feel free. With the wind in my face, and grass beneath my feet, I could do anything. I gradually turn to the right, heading straight for theedge of the cliff-like hill top, not slowing down. I grow closer and closer until I'm at the end. I leap with all I got, spreading my arms and legs out like a starfish. It seem like everything was going in slow motion. In a split second, my staff quickly turns into a glider. I grab hold of the handles and allow the wind to take me away. I cut through the air with ease. The view was amazing. I wish everyone could see what i see, and do what I could do.

But I'm not alone.

There is one that is like me, the Avatar. I've only heard about him, and the adventures he's had. I wish to meet him some day.

My name is Ara, and i'm an air bender.

From what I know of, I'm the last air bender, besides the Avatar of course. Over one hundred years ago, when my great grandparents were alive, my great grandma was pregnent with my grandpa. The day after he was born is the day the fire nation invaded the air temple. Mygreat grandma was stilltoo weak to escape, but told my great grandpa to leave with my grandpa. He had no choice, if he wanted his child to live. He grabbed the nearest glider and soared off in tears. He was the only surviver, besides the avatar.

My grandpa grew up and fell in love with a water bender, my grandma.Soon after, they also had a child, a baby girl. That was my Mother. She was an air bender,likeI am. When she grew up, shestarted traveling a lot. The main reason was to make sure no one found out she was an air bender.She met my father this way, and ended up getting married. A few years later, they had me. We were so happy together, always traveling. But that all changed....

We were resting at a snug, little village one day, when the fire nation attacked. I don't remember much of that day, I was only 5 years old. All i remember is my mom telling me to hide, and when i came out, they were dead. I didn't know what to do. So I just.... walked. I walked throught what was left of the village, not knowing were i was going. That's when i met Koa and Sokin, a middle age couple with no children. They immidiatly comforted me and i told them everything that happened.They ended up taking me in as their own child, and that how I'm hear today. They are the only ones who know I'm an air bender. My dad said that is anyone found out that I was an air bender, they would try to hurt me, and not exept me. I don't know why they would do that, but i wasn't planning on asking.

I'm excluded from the rest of the world. I live up on a hill top, surounded by a meadow. Down the hill, and a mile or so up, is the nearest village. I've never been down there, besides when i was little. (explained earlier) Behind my house is a steep cliff. At the bottom, there is a little secluded beach. I visit it sometime; I like the feel of the sand between my toes. But my favorite place to go is my fort in the forest. To the right of my house, through the maedows is where it lies. I'm the only person who knows where it is. It blends in with the branches and leaves of the trees. I go there when i want to relax and have some peace and quiet. It's kinda like my own private sanctuary.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I continue to glide through the air not going any farther than the meadows. I hear a soft squeak of a whistle and reconize it as my mother's whistle. It's her way of telling me it's time to come in. I gradually decend to the ground below. When I land, my glider closes back into a staff. I walk toward my small, but sturdy house, swinging my staff by my side. I see my mom standing in the front doorway, watching my walk toward the house. I look over to my dad, who is working on our veggie garden. He's an earth bender, but he likes to do thing the "old fashion" way. (Every once and a while, though, i see him sneak in a little earth bending in when he's planting) We grow all of our own food, and have a well a several yards away. Only in the winter is when we buy food from the market down town, or if it's something that only the market has. (which is hardly ever) I never get to go, obviously.

My dad sees that I'm walking towards the house and finishes up pulling some weeds. He begins to stand up but struggles. He places one hand on his lower back and moans as he tries to straighten out.

"I'm getting to old for this." He says, slightly chuckling. I jog on over to him. Holding on to his arm, I make sure he doesn't stumble over.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." He says raising his hand.

"Dad, you can't do all this work by yourself. You need some help around here." I claim.

"I don't need any help, I'm perfectly capable of doing it." He says shaking his head. I roll my eyes and look over at my mom, who is still looking over at my dad and I. She sighs and walks over to us. I could tell she didn't want to continue on with the conversation.

"Well. I'm going down to the market place to get some spices." She said looking at my dad. He gave her a confused look.

Why do you need to do that? We have spices here."

"Because. The spices I need are only sold in the market place." She gives me a kiss on the head, and starts walking past my dad.

"And stop being such a grump." She says with a smile, poking my dad's nose. I couldn't help but to let out a little laugh. He lowers his eyebrows and slightly sticks out his lower lip. We watch as she walks away. Without looking back, she yells, "I'll be back in a little bit!" I smile and look over at my dad. He rolls his eyes and turns away, but I could tell he was trying not to smile.

"How about i go pick some corn, ok Dad?" i say walking besides him.

"Thanks sweet heart, that would be wonderful." I smile and rush off to start picking corn.