Chapter 21

the next day, scaramouche and you met nahida at the sanctuary, ready to undergo the process of regaining your memories. you were a little nervous, not knowing what to expect, however in a way, you were very excited to discover the mysteries that were locked inside of your own mind.

"how are you feeling?"

you looked at scaramouche, smiling. "a little nervous, but i think i'll be fine. in fact, you seem to be worrying more than me."

"how dare you come to that conclusion," he scoffed, picking up the pace and walking ahead. you looked at his hands, seeing them gripped very tightly. you could tell that he looked unsettled, and it made you feel a little hopeful in a twisted way. he's atoning for his actions.

"sorry," you apologized, catching up to him and walking side by side with him once again. "i shouldn't have assumed that."

"... i'll be going through your memories with you, but only part of the way."

"why not the full thing?"

"it's an order from lesser lord kusanali," he said. "we made a deal that i'm going to protect you part of the way."

"i'm surprised you're listening to her," you chuckled. "it still shocks me how you're so obedient."

"tch. me? obedient? i'm simply repaying my debt," he said. "i'm not one of the good guys, and i'll never be one of them."

"if you say so," you said. "is it because you believe you're not capable of being a good guy, because atoning for your actions is a step in the right direction."

"with my history? i highly doubt it," he scoffed. "now come on, let's get your memories back."

the two of you arrived, standing in front of nahida who sat on her swing waiting for you. she hopped off, "hello {name}, balladeer."

"hi nahida," you said. "i'm ready."

"very enthusiastic today," she mused. "i like it. let's do it then. you might feel a little discomfort, but it's nothing painful."

you nodded, "alright."

"balladeer."

"yes?" he gave her a questioning look.

"keep her safe. don't lose her again."

scaramouche nodded, "i'll stay with her until you tell me to exit."

"alright you two," she said, raising a hand at both of you. "good luck. i'll be guiding you on the path."

the first part of your journey through your life was easy, and you had no troubles with recollection. it was only until you reached the moment where you met scaramouche where new things kept being brought to your attention.

"balladeer, this is where you leave."

"alright," he said. then he looked at you and gave you a brief kiss on the cheek. "stay safe."

before you could respond, he vanished into thin air. you were now alone, equipped with a bow that scaramouche had gotten you (just to be extra safe). since you were an engineer, you had no reason to use a weapon, but in the past you had learned how to be quite adept with a bow, so it would provide you with some protection in case trouble arises.

you continued down the pathway, learning more about the memories that you lost, that was when you entered the joruri workshop and saw your creation in it's entirety. you had seen it because it was in the works, but seeing it completely built made you gasp in awe. how could a weapon of mass destruction be so beautiful?

it was glorious, and it truly was a work of perfection. too bad it would be destroyed later, and you knew that. you followed your past incarnation as she walked to see nahida, then transported to seeing scaramouche and you being reunited. then, all of your surroundings went black, and you were left alone.

a green orb dropped in front of you, and you could hear nahida speaking.

"touch the orb and you will reclaim what was once yours."

you stretched your hand out, and then you felt a large amount of pain ripple through your body.