~ONE~

I woke up to a loud bang on my door. My mother was banging on the door telling me to get up.
I put on my clothes for the day before coming out of my room.
Bottles of beer were thrown around the house, with it reeking with the smell of weed.

After my father passed away five years ago, my older brother, Dallas had run away from home. I thought Dallas loved me. But he never cared to write or call me. Most of all he never came back to save me from this hell hole.

My step dad, Charlie, was slumped on the couch with a beer in his hand and a cigar in the other. My mother  probably went back into her room to get more sleep. I started to pour a bowl of cereal for breakfast. The smell in the kitchen suddenly smelled like a stronger version of the weed and whiskey I was already smelling. A pair of hands wrapped around my waist. I jumped spilling the milk I was pouring.

" Sorry, didn't mean to scare you" said Charlie unapologetically. A smirk rested on his face.

"I really have to head to school," I said quickly trying to scurry to pick up my bag disregarding the spilled milk that was now dripping onto the floor. As I was packing my books away a hand came in contact with my ass.

With a smirk still on his face, he said," how about you stay home today. I'll write a note for the office. Say you're sick" He snatched my bag from my hands as I stood back up.

I snatched it back." No, you're sick, perv!" I said angry. I ran towards the door and flung it open, and quickly shutting it behind me.

The apartment we lived in was old, dirty, crappy, and probably haunted. Imagine a dirty hotel in the 60s, that's exactly what it looks like here.

I hated it here. I've thought about running away just like Dallas did, but I couldn't do that to Mom. She broke down after Dallas didn't return home from school. I was 10 at the time. I can't leave her. Charlie will probably beat her to death.

I was running out of time so I decided to take a short cut through the alley way. I clenched my hand around my brother's old 1953 switchblade. His most prized possession.  Well not anymore. After he left, I went through his room. I found it in some of his stuff he had lying around along with stuff that I didn't know what it was at first, but now that I am older, I know better.

I was almost at the end of the alley way, when I heard someone behind me. I turned around and flung them into the wall holding my switch up to his neck. I pulled off his hood with my empty hand.

I sighed in relief. He had a smirk across his face. "Josh I swear if you do that one more time I will actually cut you." I said not joking around. He laughed and pushed me off of him. Josh had dark brown eyes and  perfect brown fluffy hair. A jaw like a movie star and a gorgeous smile. He was tough like me. " I told you to not cut through alleys without me. I just had to make sure you were prepared. " He said to me. I slipped my knife back into my pocket. As we walked down the streets of New York, he held my hand tightly. Josh was a junior unlike me who was a sophomore. We walked into the school. We only had a few more days of school before summer break. Josh said goodbye to me before walking to his classes.

School was finally coming to an end for the day. 14 days left. 

The Friday afternoon was cloudy. I walked up the stairs to my apartment as I fished the key from out of my black leather jacket, that really needed to be washed. It was stained with blood from previous fights, spilled beer, and dirt.

I walked to my door. I heard screaming  coming from the other side of the door.

I ran into the room to see Charlie kicking my mom, who was laying on the ground. I picked up a whiskey bottle from the floor and ran at Charlie. I smashed the bottle against his stupid ass head. He fell to the ground unconscious. I think.

" Mom are you okay?" I cradled her head in my lap, brushing hair and blood out of her face.

" Y-you need to get out of here," she said softly. Tears were in both of our eyes.

I shook my head rapidly. " No, no, no, I can't. You're the only family I have left." I choked.

" No, I think I know where Dallas is, Delaney" she said. She handed me a train ticket.

I read the ticket. " Tulsa, Oklahoma? No way Ma I'm not going"

" You have too, go now! I already called the cops, I'll be okay" she said trying to reassure me. 

I kissed he forehead. " I'm so sorry mom." With that I ran to my room and threw my things in my suitcase. Shoes, shirts, everything. I moved my bed from the wall and used a screw driver to ply a floor board of the floor. A dust box layed untouched for years. I dumped it out throwing the contents into my suitcase. It held money, pictures and the stuffed animal Dally got for me when I was five.

I then ran out the door.