Chapter 2

Word Count: 1666
Hours taken: 3
Chapter 2

--------------------------------------------------

I walked alongside the Hashira, feeling the frigid, cold air tickle my skin, causing a shiver to run down my spine. The skirt that was a part of my demon-slaying uniform was not the best in these types of conditions, making me want pants instead. However, I sucked it up and kept quiet to myself, glancing over to observe the Hashira. He didn't seem affected by the cold at all, although I happened to notice that he would occasionally glance over at me. He would specifically look at the Kitsune mask that rested on the side of my head, making me wonder what he was thinking about.

 He would specifically look at the Kitsune mask that rested on the side of my head, making me wonder what he was thinking about

"Pretty cold out here, huh?" I said, attempting to break the awkward silence and start a conversation. But, he didn't say anything, ignoring me as we continued down the path we were on.

"Do you know what will happen when we reach there?" I asked, although got no response.

"You know, I never got your name." Dead silent. He did not say a word. I huffed, feeling slightly annoyed that I was being ignored, making me consider possibly running away from this guy. But, I seemed to like his company in a way, even if he wasn't talking to me; I haven't traveled with anyone else since Fumiko died. Although, the Hashira took notice of my slight annoyance, sighing as he opened his mouth to speak.

"Tomioka Giyu." He responded, his answer very delayed and slow. My ears perked up as I turned my head to look at him, having broken my attention from him a little bit ago. I stared as he stared back, my eyes following his and watching as they guided up to my head to look at my fox ears.

"Well, Tomioka-San, do you like my ears? I see you looking at them. They came with my transformation." I said, flicking and flopping my ears around as I playfully swished my bushy tail, seeing his eyes dart down to look at it. He didn't say anything, his eyebrows frowning as he quickly turned his head away.

I sighed, thinking that maybe talking about my ears would make a good conversation starter, but even that backfired. Although, as we continued to walk, the closer we got to the Demon Slayer Corps, causing me to worry. I knew that not every Hashira would spare me like Giyu. They all have their different opinions about demons, so hearing about one going against their nature is blasphemy. My eyes scanned around the deep oak forest, plotting ways to run when I suddenly get a whiff of a metallic, iron type sent. The smell was very redolent to my nose, however, the rusted cogs began to turn in my head when I recognized the scent.

Blood.

I glance over to see if Hashira had noticed, seeming like he did not. I balked when deciding if I should inform him of what I smelled. Giving into my moral conscious, I reached out to gently tug on the tip of his haori, grabbing his attention.

"Hey, I smell blood over there. It smells like human blood." I said, pulling my hand away so I can point in the general direction. He paused and turned to face me before his eyes followed my finger in the direction I was pointing.