Aunt Lisa

My mom lay there all cut and bruised. Same as my dad. My brother was on a breathing machine and it was still beeping.

"Why aren't my parents on machines?" I asked worried.

"They died instantly."

"Oh." I was not crying because I was all cried out. "Wait are you saying Alex is still alive?"

"We don't know yet."

"HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW IF HE IS ALIVE?" I was mad. I fought with him all the time but I loved him.

"We are sorry. The machines are keeping him alive. He was injured in the head bad. We are hoping he will recover."

"Is there any chance he will make it."

"A little one. But praying never hurts."

"OK." I knelt down by his bed I put my hands together and bent my head. After 20 seconds of praying Alex's minuted started beating rapidly. "What's going on?"

"He is have seizure. But he can't feel anything" Grace pulled me out of the room and a woman walked up to me.

"Hello are you Dylan Mcquire?"

"Yes I am what do you need?"

"We are with social services. We need to know if you have any relatives you can live with?"

"I have a aunt that lives in HollyWood."

"What is here name?"

"Lisa. The last name was like a famous river. It started with a "h" I think"

"Is it Hudson. Like the Hudson River."

"Yes that's it. Lisa Hudson"

"Ok. We will contact her and she will sign your custody papers." I haven't seen my Aunt Lisa in years. The last time I saw her was when I was 8 I am 12 now.

"What about my brother? Will she take him too?"

"If he aaa............makes it...........she will take him in to." As soon as he said if he makes it, it reminded me of how little of a chance Alex has of survival. All I needed was a shoulder to cry on and Grace has been there the whole time for me and her shoulder was right there for me to cry on.

3 hours later

I was still sitting next to Alex's bed holding his hand praying for his survival. I heard the door open I looked over expecting a nurse but standing there was a tall and skinny lady, I recognized her face. After a few minutes of staring I came to my senses and realized who it is. It was my Aunt Lisa. I needed a family member who felt the same pain as I did. I got up and we ran into each other's arms have compassion for one another.

" There are no world in the world that can make you feel better right now. The only comfort I can offer right now is, it will get better. I promise." Aunt Lisa's voice made my whole body relax. Her words sunk into me and I really did think everything was going to be ok. " Alex needs to stay here, I will take you to my house to live with me. I live in Hollywood, it might be far away but the hospital will keep us updated 24/7 and we can visit him as soon as your heart needs him."

"Will the hospital keep him safe?" I already knew this answer but I needed to hear it from Aunt Lisa.

"Of course they will. They will treat him with the best of care I am sure of it." Her words comforted me, I buried my head deeper into her chest.

After I said my goodbyes Aunt Lisa and I went back to my house and Grace got picked up at the hospital. I packed all my belongings and we spent the night at my house to catch a 9:30 flight in the morning. I got into my pajamas and crawled into bed I looked around my room. I can believe this is my life, right now real life my parents are dead my brother is on the verge of death and I am going to live with my aunt in Hollywood that I haven't seen four 4 years. All of the memories started crawling back to me. I remember the day Alex was born I was 5 and I would lay in this exact bed with bed side bars and every night my mom would com in and I would kiss Alex on the head. I even remember that when my mom was staying in work late my dad forgot to bring in Alex so I could say goodnight and I would try to sleep but never could so I walked into my parents room and opened his crib and kissed him goodnight. He never cried around me! I remembered the day I got my first poster. Everyone in the 3rd grade had a poster so I got one, it was a My Little Pony (pinkie pie). The poster has been there since. Now it is packed up.

My room had a picture of My family at our first camping trip. It was one of my best trips because a spider crawled on my mom and she freaked out. She ran around saying Get it off Get it off Get me out of here. I had a picture of me and Grace at my 10th birthday party. We were dressed up like princesses. That was my favorite party because my mom shoved a cupcake in my dads face and then we had a cupcake war.

All these memories made me smile and I knew I would have them forever to hold on to and have close to my heart. That made me intense and my eyes couldn't stay open any longer. I fell asleep with the thought that everything will get better.