Sleepless Nights

Andromeda and Sebastian have just found the memory from Isidora Morganach to reveal how she used her ancient magic to extract pain from her father.

"But we found the memory!"

Andromeda looked over at Sebastian and let out a shaky breath. They had just uncovered the final piece of the triptych after investigating a cavern that was swarmed with Ranrok's loyalists. The triptych uncovered a pensieve that contained a memory from Isidora. It showed how she used her ancient magic to remove pain and performed it on her own father in front of the Keepers.

"Yes, I know but-"

Sebastian quickly interrupted her and pointed at the pensieve. "We saw what she wanted us to see. We saw what she could do...what you can do!"

Andromeda shook her head. She has barely scratched the surface about the origins of ancient magic, let alone how to control it with such precision. "I can't do that. I don't even know how!"

"Well, you shall learn then. The Keepers can teach you!"

Andromeda was beginning to feel apprehensive, the Keepers were showing her their memories of Isidora for a reason. Something was not adding up and it didn't make any sense. Why was Isidora's portrait destroyed? What happened to her?"

She wished Ominis were here.

"Sebastian, I don't think the Keepers will help me in that matter."

"Why not?" Sebastian's voice hinted at a tone of frustration.

Andromeda tried to keep her voice steady. She had a sinking feeling in her stomach that Sebastian was not going to back off since he was already convinced she could remove Anne's pain.

"The Keepers believe that removing the ability to feel pain is a highly complicated form of magic. It's unpredictable! To wield it means you have to have great care, if at all."

"If at all? Andromeda, you have overcome all of their challenges. You can wield it. You have the ability!"

She turned her back to him and stared at the triptych. These words of encouragement were not helping her at all. If anything, it was only making it worse.

"Please. Talk to the Keepers. If not for me, then for Anne."

Andromeda closed her eyes and bit her lower lip. Sebastian had to rope Anne into all of this because he knew the guilt of not helping his sister would completely eat her away. For now, she found there was no harm to at least ask the Keepers. The worst that could happen is that they deny her request. But first, she needed more answers about what exactly happened to Isidora.

She turned her head towards Sebastian and gave him a small nod. He instantly smiled back at her. "Thank you. I'm going to send an owl to Anne. I shall never forget this!" He then ran out of the Undercroft, leaving her completely alone.

With her hands pushing her hair back, all Andromeda wanted to do was talk to Ominis. He could always ease her mind with a few simple words. However, Sebastian insisted that they meet during the night to locate the cavern undetected. She knew Ominis would be asleep by now and did not want to disturb him.

She pushed herself forward to the exit of the Undercroft to make her way back to her dormitory, uncertain that she would get any sleep tonight.

_________________________________________

The next morning.

Andromeda was right. It was beyond difficult for her to find any sleep. She tossed and turned for most of the night and finally nodded off in the early hours of the morning. While the rest of the girls in the dormitory were up and getting ready for the day, she was still past out in bed.