Chapter 4: Training

Whoever said teaching kids is a self rewarding task is incorrect and needs to revise their statement immediately.. I Need to visit a mental hospital or in my particular case a therapist turned Jaeger engineer turned therapist again. I haven't been able to fully power save my systems in 2 days.. She's relentless! This training programme is supposed to last a month and she's already half way through it! And not due to talent either, made clear by the number of fails per task. She makes it through with sheer unending stamina and no breaks. At all. I've had to change my other power core since then due to the constant training, nor have I had the chance to do any repair to myself at all.

Everyday is identical, I boot up my training systems, the child arrives from wherever, and Immediately begins the simulation of various scenarios until she leaves again at night. Not even a break for breakfast, lunch nor dinner, which she claims she eats at home. finally I have no idea how she doesn't need the toilet part way through this. I feel like I need to go, highly likely a sign I need an oil change or 7.

"Dammit! Start it again I almost had him that time!" I'm gonna short circuit at this rate, and the scary part is that it's looking favourable at this point. She was sitting in a chair she had salvaged from someone nearby, at first I feared the thing was infested, but several nights later I can safely say it isn't. I hope.

"Cadet, It is ill advised to spend so much time in simulation training at once. I am also concerned for your dietary intake. Rest is needed for optimal training performance" more for me than her.

"But I almost had him that time! I Just need to charge the plasma cannon a little sooner to blow his ugly stupid Kaiju face off!" She is a workaholic game addict. I need to convince her to take a day off, I need to scout the area. I've been here far too long and I'm surprised I've evaded the scrapers thus far. The question is how? The child is like a kid with a new game, I guess, and I can't exactly ground her from training can I? Ah the emotion chip, I think that gives me some leeway, perhaps I can refuse to train her until she rests under the guise of mental exhaustion.

"You must rest for at least 24 hours until the training programme will be allowed to continue. You are overstressing your mind and making sub optimal progress." her face looked as if I told her I was going to self destruct, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered the thought.

"You're banning me from training for a day!?!? No please, I promise to take a break! Err I can take 5 minutes! 10? Ok 30 you can't ban me!" This only confirmed the need for her to rest. There were bags under her eyes, a telltale sign for lack of sleep. And the desperation was honestly scary. I guess this is the emotion of worry? Not a fan, it's like a fear I can't swipe away yet has no logical direct effect to myself. At first I thought it was because I need her to change my power cores, but I find that I would rather her be incapable of such and healthy than be beneficial to me; It makes no logical sense.

"Hmm I see, how about a compromise? I shall shorten the restriction to 12 hours if you sleep for at least 6 of them" while she sleeps I'd have a key opportunity to run diagnostics as well as rescout the local area. I've been meaning to find some new high power inductors and supercapacitors for repair. My systems cannot discharge nor redirect large amounts of power in an emergency without them and that is something that could prove fatal to whatever my sentience is. I fear lightning or a faulty core may be my death if this isn't fixed fast.

"Hmm deal! But I'm sleeping here in this chair! It's more comfortable than my bo- bed at err home!" The slip up was noted, the child may be homeless or at least neglected.. Perhaps I should consider investigating her living conditions. The tech she salvages should provide her with more than enough for a comfortable lifestyle meaning someone is taking advantage of her. My systems surged at the thought. I cannot allow this.