Chapter 10: Like A Paradise

"Wait!"

My head turned to look at where Reagan was standing. With brows raised, I mouthed, "What?"

I watched Reagan walk towards me, holding an envelope. The white envelope had the initials V. B. on its front and was sealed with a red stamp. My mind immediately thought of one thing.

Viviana was who they were finding, but it looks like they've mistaken her for me. And if that's truly the case, they don't know that I'm not her, they don't know that Viviana doesn't have abilities like mine, and they might not know who the real Viviana is.

"Vivi knew you'd show up here one day. Don't worry, she's safe as long as I'm alive— I promised her that. But she wanted me to give you this." He handed me the envelope, and without hesitation, my right hand received it.

His words once again reached the little creature inside of me, striking guilt in my heart. I don't know if he was saying it intentionally or if he wanted to assure me that my sister was safe. But somehow, as I stared at the letter on my hand, the weight in my chest drifted away. The little creature in my chest slowly slowed its beating.

"I'll read it after, but I have matters to take care of now. Please, take good care of her," I mumbled.

The rope from the dungeon rails was already tied to Reagan's hands. Using his handkerchief, I carefully covered his mouth. Lifting my mouth cover up to my nose, I waved my hand goodbye as I walked through the exit of the dungeon.

Reagan and I planned this all day. The moment I heard Kier's voice in my head, I knew they were about to come for me, so I also had to make my move. Reagan said he'd act as if I escaped from his hands.

Reagan said no one really knows what their next move is, because Ravina just kept on letting them abduct random people. Turns out, I was right all along that they were the reason behind the abductions. He said that Chief Sullivan might have tricked Ravina into thinking I'm Viviana and I'm an only child. Though he said Ravina knew what I was capable of, it was only a matter of time before she'd use me for her own.

Truly, the world was once like a paradise, but everyone knows that paradises fall. The day the skies turned gray, and the sun was no longer ablaze, I knew it wasn't just a natural phenomenon. It was like the sun had no longer cared for the people who gazed upon it. And I know it wasn't just because someone doesn't have something to do with her life.

I had so many questions to ask Reagan, but I know they can wait. At least I know that she is in good hands. Despite having quests of my own, I'm still a member of the Shadow Legion. I want to protect the city too. The city of Willow was my shelter— I couldn't just let something happen to it.

Besides, this was my plan in the first place— to be the bait.

With my hands holding the metal, I was unable to keep my balance as the minecart seemed rusty and was racking back and forth. It reeked of soil and garbage, but I had no time to complain. But I had no choice; Reagan said this was the only way I could get out of here without anyone knowing.

The cart went through holes and bumps that were all over the dirt roads. And my mind was already in a whirl. When the cart stopped near a small cave, I quickly ran towards the exit.

Surprisingly, the moonlit waters greeted me, and my eyes closed as the breeze hugged my delicate skin. The wind whipped across the surface of the ocean, and the waves crashed upon the rocks near the shore.

The clouds were indeed very dark, yet the moon had shown itself from here, and the light that illuminated the place was from the cottages near the cave—wait, cottages?

Footsteps stomped from a distance, and my senses were alarmed. It seemed like it was getting near. I quickly went back inside the cave as soon as I heard the chattering voices.

"Have you heard? Ravina's captured Solara's daughter!"

My eyes squinted at the sight of two young ladies carrying baby baskets filled with fruits, some of which I recognized and some of which I did not. They were wearing long, flowy dresses and shining accessories placed on their heads.

"Doesn't Solara have only one daughter? And Viviana is with us, it couldn't be her, right?" The red-haired girl whispered, which was enough for me to hear.

"That's what I was wondering! Could it be fake? You know how much some of us spread fake news," the other girl answered.

"But the rumor didn't come from the royals, it came from the tiny creatures that lived in mushrooms. And you know that they never lie."

Their voices faded away as they got far from where I was hiding. Tiny creatures, cottages, the moon in the sky, and the name they mentioned. Just where exactly am I? Reagan must have lead me the wrong place to go.

I took a step back, and slowly, the light didn't hit my face anymore. But just as I was about to take another step, my hands lit up as well as my entire body, which was slowly shining brightly as if the light had been cast through my body.

My eyelids fluttered and closed as I felt the darkness behind me diminish and a soothing warmth settle on my face. My fingers moved unconsciously as my toes wiggled. My head tilted from left to right, and I shook myself awake. I squeezed my eyes tighter before blinking them open.

Greeted by the same ceiling I woke up to in the morning, I immediately rose from the soft surface on which I was lying. A strong scent engulfed me as arms spread wide and came to embrace me. I hold in a sneeze as I hug him back.

"It worked," he whispered.

"It worked!" I heard the others.

And with those words, a tear escaped from my eyes as my face painted a smile. The three of them went to hug me too as soon as I looked at them. I tried to hug all of them, but my arms weren't big enough.

For a moment, my mind forgot the things I'd been through earlier. This feels like home. My tears made their way to my cheeks, and my chest was filled with joy as I slowly calmed down inside of me. Whether they betray me or not, I know they care for me, just as I do for them. And if I could freeze time right now, I'd freeze it for them.

* * *

#ShadowsInTimeWP