Chapter Sixteen

Our flight home was as early as our flight there. That meant our morning started before dawn, which only set me up for failure for the rest of the day.

Anthony wasn't at the airport when I arrived, and I was grateful for it. I wasn't ready to see him yet...not after the moment we had yesterday.

I want to do something really bad. Something that could lead to a lot of trouble for both of us.

Did he want me as much as I wanted him? I'm glad Chloe interrupted us because if anything happened, I wouldn't have been able to go back home to Sarah. I was already feeling guilty about the kiss we shared at the party, and that wasn't our choice.

"What seat are you in?" Kat asked. Once again, she had a can of coffee in her hand.

"Forty-one A."

She sighed. "Damn, we never get to sit together."

I smiled. I was grateful Kat wasn't sitting there. She hadn't had the chance to pester me about the kiss, and I wasn't in the mood for any interrogations.

"How was the rest of your trip?" I asked. "I didn't really see you yesterday."

"It was amazing. We went to this little market by the Melbourne Star. I had the most amazing waffles and get this...a cheesecake on a stick."

"Now you're just making me hungry."

Kat laughed. "Where were you yesterday? I swear all of us went to the market except for you and Anthony."

Panic rose in my chest. I didn't realise everyone else had spent the day together. It made our actions extremely obvious, and that was innocent compared to the thoughts I was having.

"So?" Kat asked.

I laughed. "Sorry, I'm still waking up. Anthony and I...went to the St Kilda market." I looked around the airport for Anthony, but he still hadn't arrived. I wondered if something had happened. We agreed to be at the airport by four a.m. and it was now quarter past. I hated how worried it made me.

We boarded at five-thirty. Anthony still wasn't around, and I couldn't help but panic. I'd texted him multiple times, but he hadn't responded. I scanned the plane as I walked down the aisle. No Anthony.

I sat in my seat and stared out the window. It felt weird that we were leaving and he wasn't with us. I thought HM would have some pact where we all had to leave together.

Seconds later, Anthony was throwing his luggage into the overhead locker. He scanned the aisle and stopped when he saw me in my seat. A small smile formed on his face as he sat down next to me.

"Forty-one B, eh?" I asked.

"Hello, sunshine."

"You didn't answer my texts. I was starting to worry you'd miss the flight."

Anthony laughed. "I was going to. Sam stayed at a house in Brunswick last night. My phone didn't charge, and so my alarm never went off. I woke up at three-thirty, quickly gathered my luggage and raced to the airport. I think I scared my Uber with my demanding tone."

I giggled. "You scare everyone with that demanding tone." 

"You like it though, don't you?" he flirted.

I rolled my eyes. I was happy Anthony was sitting next to me, but I also couldn't stop thinking about last night. What would've happened if Chloe didn't walk in? Would we have kissed on our own account?

"Listen," I began, but I was interrupted by the flight attendant's announcement. We sat through the safety video before the plane taxied onto the runway. Part of me was glad I was interrupted as I was sure someone from work would've heard us if I continued.