CHAPTER 7

President Stone paced the floor of his Command Center. Radar screens on the walls reported on the traffic in the air space above and around Metro City. Video monitors helped him keep an eye on the comings and goings of his residents.

General Heckler sat at a control desk, headphones on his ears. The president's advisors sat in metal chairs, cowering as their chief ranted and raved.

"How can my approval ratings be this low?" he fumed. "I was very popular in high school. I've cut taxes for a lot of very influential friends. What more do people want?"

General Heckler interrupted him. "We're tracking an unidentified object flying over Metro City, sir."

President Stone studied the radar screen. A flying dot moved across the city. "The Surface dwellers are firing at us? This is what I've been waiting for! Declare war on them! This is going to get me reelected!"

A soldier marched up to him. "This didn't come from the Surface, sir," he reported.

"It's my opponent," Stone guessed. "He's taken the gloves off. He's playing hardball."

The flying dot turned bright blue.

"It's Blue Core energy, sir!" the soldier cried.

President Stone's face darkened. "What? Elefun told me the Blue Core was destroyed. Get me a location and mobilize all units. I want that thing now!"

Astro had no idea he had been detected by the radar. He flew back home and landed on the balcony of his father's study. Orrin and Dr. Elefun were talking to Dr. Tenma. Their voices carried through the open sliding doors.

"Where is he? Where's Toby?" Dr. Elefun asked.

"I sent him to his room," Dr. Tenma said. "Please, just deactivate him and take him away. I can't bear to see his face again."

Astro gasped. Could they be talking about him?

"Come on, Tenma," Dr. Elefun pleaded. "You can't just throw him away like a piece of junk."

"Dad? What's going on?" Astro asked.

The two men turned and stared at Astro.

"Why are you talking about me like this?" he asked.

Dr. Elefun paused. "Toby, there's been a bit of a misunderstanding. You're not entirely an ordinary boy."

"I know," Astro said. He looked at Dr. Tenma. "Dad, I can fly! I can drill my way through solid rock. It's amazing."

Dr. Tenma turned his back on Astro. "How could I think this would work?"

"What's wrong with me? Why don't you love me anymore?" Astro asked.

Dr. Elefun faced his friend. "He's programmed with the memories of your own son, Tenma."

"Programmed?" Astro asked.

"Doesn't that mean anything to you?" asked Dr. Elefun.

"He's not my son," Dr. Tenma said coldly. "He's a robot who looks like my son."

Astro couldn't believe it. "Dad," he pleaded.

"I'm not your dad. You're not Toby. You're a copy of Toby," Dr. Tenma said. "A failed experiment, a robot, not my son. You're a robot, and I don't want you anymore!"

"No! No!" Astro wailed.

He turned back to the balcony.

"Toby! Wait!" Dr. Elefun yelled. He grabbed Astro and looked into his eyes. "I can't see into the future, but I'm sure there's a place for you. You just have to find it."