Hiding

Weeks had passed since Elena had left and damon wasn't taking things too easily , he reached for the second bottle of whiskey under the kitchen table and drunkly unscrewed the top ,The door shut behind him and Ric flew the mail onto the table
"Still no news?" Damon slurred
Ric grabbed a glass and sat next to Damon "no Damon ,there's no news ...have you heard from Elena?"
Damon's eyes met Ric's "nope , I wouldn't be here if I knew where the love of my life was-"
"It's not your fault Damon ,but I know for a fact she's not the best at handling life with her switch off, we need to find her Damon"
Damon stood up and grabbed his leather jacket "I'm giving up Ric,she left me, she's gone ,I don't want her anymore -"
"Damon,Damon wait "Ric screamed "you don't mean that,you love Elena ,you've been with her for 20 years ,she's your fiancée Damon-"
"Not anymore Ric,not anymore how can I love someone who's half way around the world by now"
~ Elena's eyes opened and the sun shone in through the window , she quickly threw her clothes on and ran down the stairs of Granny's In , a familiar face was waiting for her in the diner
"Emma!" Elena smiled
"Hey you,got you a coffee here-"
Elena sat down and faced her cousin "so still no..news?"
"Nothing Elena..you are the one that pretended to turn your humanity off and left the love of your life" she grinned
"Emma! I was...depressed ..I lost a child "
"I know I know Elena, but you've moved on so why are you asking me about news?"
A young handsome man walked over and sat next to Elena giving her a peck on the cheek
"Hi James " Elena smirked as she gazed into his eyes
"Hey there beautiful "he grinned as he kissed her lips "so bet you're ready for New York"
"Can't wait to go..."she laughed "can't believe we're moving there"
"Well I love you Elena Gilbert and well we've known eachother 2 months now and I want to spend the rest of my life with you-"
Emma's jaw dropped "are you proposing ?" She squealed
Elena shook her head "he tried that the other night "
"And she said no..." He awkwardly laughed "but I'm willing to wait "
Emma's eyes quickly glared at Elena as she pulled her up and towards the back door
"Listen Elena, this is your new start you want ...he's a lovely guy isn't he? You told me you wanted to forget about your old life and move on..this is the only chance you're going to get.."
Elena hugged her cousin "listen Emma..I'm not sure if I'm ready yet...I mean Damon and me..we only finished 2 months ago and I haven't spoken to him since, I feel like such a horrible person-"
"You're not the one to blame Elena" she smiled "but I do think you should tell Damon about what's going on.. You owe him that -"
~ Damon's head slowly turned to face the front door that had quickly opened , his brother stood there in the doorway with his arms raised
"I leave for 5 minutes and looks what's happened!" Stefan shouted
Damon rolled his eyes "this doesn't concern you brother " he grinned as he took another sip of his whiskey
"Yes it does if You and Elena haven't spoken in months!"
Damon put his glass down and turned to face Stefan "how do you know that? Have you seen Elena? Stefan?!"
Stefan slowly shook his head "..no I haven't but I know somewhere you haven't looked yet...Storybrooke?"
"Where that Emma lives?"
Stefan nodded "I have her number actually If you want me to give her a call...?"
~ Emma's eyes opened in alarm as she answered the phone "Stefan?!"
"Yeah hi Emma ,I'm actually quite concerned about Elena ,I know she's with you by the way ,and she needs to sort things out between my brother and her-"
"Woah Stefan..too many questions , a lot has happened in these past few months and I think Elena's moved on.."
"Emma, she lost her baby ,she hasn't moved on-"
"Stefan let her go, she's moving to New York with her fiancée , she has moved on..."
There was a slight pause before Stefan cleared his throat "she isn't herself Emma-"
"Listen Stefan.. She needs to be herself ...just let her go.."
"What am I supposed to tell Damon? He loves her?"
"Just..just make something up, he doesn't need to know the truth ...not now-"
Stefan ended the call to see Damon stood behind him .
~~ Elena kissed James on the head before giving him a hug "I'll see you tomorrow" she smiled
James leant in and swooped her off of her feet before getting into his car, Elena waved and trotted back into her apartment where Emma was stood with an awkward grin on her face
"What's up Em?"
"Listen ...I don't think you should go tomorrow...Hear me out Elena..., it's only been two months and you lost your and Damon's baby, you're not over it and I've rushed you into things with James and I'm ashamed of it..-"
Elena rushed over to Emma and hugged her " you haven't rushed me into anything Emma! You've helped me see sense ,I don't need Damon in my life ...I'm happy"
Emma pulled away "well I'm sorry Elena but him and his brother are on their way...and they're going to be here any second -"
Elena's jaw dropped "What?!! Now?? I don't want to see them Emma!"