03. in a franchise

chapter three,
in a franchise

        THE NEXT MORNING, Carlyn was greeted with the news that someone in a Ghostface mask had attacked Sam and Tara on their way to the police station

THE NEXT MORNING, Carlyn was greeted with the news that someone in a Ghostface mask had attacked Sam and Tara on their way to the police station. The sisters were okay, but they wanted everyone to meet up at the courtyard.

        Carlyn made her way up to her room, which was a floor above Ethan and Chad's. She felt safer, knowing it was daylight and she could be fully alert.

She quickly got ready for the day and met Ethan and Chad on the bottom floor of their building. The three of them made their way to Blackmore's courtyard, where Mindy and Anika already were.

When Sam, Tara, and Quinn go there, the sisters gave them a quick rundown. Sidney Prescott wasn't coming to New York (which was good), but Gale Weathers (who had written yet another book about the murders) had stopped the girls outside of the police station, resulting in her getting punched by Tara.

"Okay, nerds," Mindy started, moving so she was standing in front of all of them. "Listen up! As terrifying as this all is, I'm actually glad I got a chance to redeem myself for not. . . really calling the killers last time. It's fine. Okay. The way I see it, someone is out to make a sequel to the requel."

        Anika raised her hand. "Um, what's a requel?"

        Mindy pointed at her girlfriend. "You're beautiful, sweetie. Let's hold questions to the end."

        "Stab 1 took place in Woodsboro," Sam started, making everyone turn to look at her. "Stab 2 took place in college. . ."

        "So do we think that the killer is trying to copy the movies?" Tara asked, eyes flickering back to Mindy.

        "That is one possibility," Mindy answered her. "Heroes now in college. Check. Suspicious new characters brought in to round out the suspect list, and-or body count. Check, check, and check." Mindy pointed at Quinn, Anika, and Ethan.

        Ethan shook his head. "I don't like this."

        "But it can't just be about Stab 2," Mindy stated.

        "Why not?" Carlyn and Tara both asked.

        "It would make sense if this were just a sequel," Mindy explained. "But we're not in a sequel. Because nobody just makes sequels anymore. . . We're in a franchise! And there are certain rules to a continuing franchise."