Chapter 12

Unfortunately, Alayna had no clue when Professor Fig would be returning from the Ministry. So she was left no choice but to simply continue attending classes while she waited. He might have left the book in his office, but she had decided it was probably best to wait so she could show him the map chamber. Professor Fig was likely to still be a little upset about her finding it by herself and she didn't want to risk angering him much further.

There was still some adventure to be had though as a new week meant a new set of classes. The first two being Transfiguration and Care of Magical Creatures.

Transfiguration, taught by Professor Weasley, was supposedly one of the harder classes at the school according to the other students from whom Alayna heard about it. Seeing as how the last week had brought her two easy classes with Potions and Herbology, she was actually looking forward to a challenge.

For their first lesson, they were to transfigure a glass marble into a butterfly. A rather difficult transformation that many of the other students grasped, but being as it was Alayna's first lesson, she could not figure out.

"Why don't you try something a little easier? Try transfiguring it into...a glass bottle," Professor Weasley suggested when she saw she was struggling with the task.

Transforming the glass marble into another shape was a much easier task than trying to change it into a completely different substance. After a few tries, Alayna was able to successfully turn the marble into a bottle. Although she was a bit disappointed she couldn't handle the harder transformation.

"Well done. Don't be discouraged, you'll catch up in no time," Professor Weasley smiled. "I'd like you to meet me in the Astronomy tower after your classes today. Alright? I have an idea that may help you with your studies."

"Yes, professor," Alayna smiled in return. She wondered why they would need to meet in the Astronomy tower of all places.

The next class of the day was Care of Magical Creatures held outside next to a small cottage on the grounds of the castle. There were several fenced off areas with magical creatures of all sorts. Alayna knew of a couple. Kneazles were quite popular around Damerel. One of the villagers even had a pet kneazle. She preferred cats, thought they were much cuter. Puffskeins were another popular pet. She didn't really see the appeal. They were just furballs. Diricawls were another she recognized. She remembered there being a flock that had lived near their hamlet for a few years when she was younger. Except her sister and her had enjoyed chasing them so they would disappear too much and they eventually disappeared entirely.

Class began with them standing around a group of desks in a patio area next to the cottage. Alayna found herself next to a rather young looking Hufflepuff. She almost thought she might be in a younger year except for the fact the class was filled with fifth years. Her short brown hair only helped to make her appear younger.

"Welcome, everyone." The professor for the class was Professor Howin who looked almost like a gardener with the getup she was in. Although the apron she was wearing was much more protective thanks to the leather used to make it. The gloves she wore too were made of leather and looked more like gauntlets. Alayna certainly hoped she wouldn't be needing any protection like that for this class.

"We'll begin the year by getting reacquainted with the creatures we have here. You all have creatures with you now to get to know and then we can move on to the pens," Professor Howin explained. Indeed, there was a 0uffskein that the Hufflepuff had brought over before class began. It at least wasn't a very dangerous creature.

"Remember to take care when handling any magical creature. Many of them may look unassuming, but they can all be dangerous if you are not careful," Professor Howin continued on. "Miss Sweeting, will you help our new student today?"