Chp. 19

The days began passing so rapidly I had barely enough time to think about anything other than school and dancing. Drew and I had begun to work on our duet performance and everything seemed to be going better than expected. I was excited for the recital, knowing already that we were going to blow them away and I couldn't wait. I was proud to show off my crew one last time, and I was ready to make Mrs. Andrews eat her words concerning Drew.  

I wanted to make sure she had no doubt in her mind that Drew and I had blown ever one away after seeing us dance together.

The only thing I had found myself excessively worrying about during that week was Drew's fight. She had stayed late at the gym Monday and Wednesday with Demarcus to prepare herself, even though she had told me not to worry, claiming it was an easy win. She had even asked me if I would be interested in going but I declined, not wanting to step foot in that place until her and Jada had to duke it out again.

Other than that the days passed with ease.

I found Drew and I were growing closer, but even that didn't stop me from growing more curious over our latest conversation about Evan. Ever since then she had seemed too afraid to bring it up again, and I was afraid I had discouraged her by my reaction, which hadn't been much of a reaction at all.

Did she think she had intimidated me? Scared me? I wasn't sure and I was too reluctant to ask her, and so the conversation stayed at rest.

Thanksgiving break was now well underway, and tomorrow Jada and I would be heading back over to our hometown to celebrate with our family. I was excited to see them all of course, but it also reminded me that Drew had no family to celebrate with. It was hard to enjoy vacation whenever all I could think about was Drew being alone during the holidays.

Of course I had considered inviting her to come but figured it probably wouldn't be a good idea to reunite her and Jada at my family gathering. The last thing I needed was for the two too get into it in the living room of my home and break a coffee table or something.

So letting it be seemed like the best option, because even though I wanted Drew along I knew periods apart were necessary. Not because we were always together but because it wasn't the right time to introduce her, and being patient was the new thing now.

"Are you packed?"

I looked over to Jada, nodding, "Yea, why?"

She shrugged, "Just making sure. Tomorrow when I'm ready to leave I'm leaving, with or without you."

I rolled my eyes, smiling, "Thanks."

"No problem," she continued doing the dishes in the sink before turning back to me, "You know, I talked to the coordinators for the fighting league."

I felt something in my heart stop, and for some odd and paranoid reason I thought she was about to call me out for being involved with Drew. I knew she didn't know, and I was just being paranoid, but that didn't stop me heart from pounding harder in my chest...

I found I couldn't even look in her eyes as I questioned, "For?"