12

"I'm Lieutenant Jackson," The woman said firmly as Katniss and Gale approached her, "and I want to introduce you to the rest of your squad."

Katniss nodded, allowing Jackson to continue.

"This, is second Lieutenant Mitchell, best sharpshooter in Panem. These are the Leeg sisters. First combat division," As the Lieutenant continued with introductions she gestured to each squad member to put faces to the names, "and this, is Corporal Holmes."

Katniss nodded before her eyes focused behind the man she had just been introduced to, "Finnick? Kaianna?"

Finnick nodded his head as he tossed his trident around, and Kaianna gave the girl a gentle wave.

"Are you two with us?" Katniss wondered as she wrapped her arms around the two.

"Looks like it." He smiled kindly.

"That was a short recovery?" Katniss focused on Kaianna, and it was hard to ignore the worried look in her eyes.

"Well thanks to you," Kaianna teased, but backed off when Katniss was overtaken by guilt, "it's ok. We'll all have plenty of time to relax once we take the capitol-"

"Brooke," Kaianna's eyes followed Finnick as he took the young blonde into a friendly embrace, "I didn't know you'd be with us too!"

Kaianna followed his suit, and hugged Brooke, "I didn't know you'd be here at all."

She had grown more attached to the girl than she'd like to admit. The more the two talked, the more familiar Brooke felt to Kaianna, and that feeling made it hard for Kaianna not to get comfortable.

Brooke shrugged confidently, "Don't worry about me. I know what I signed up for."

"I'm not so sure about-"

"Gather around," Boggs' command cut Kaianna off, and the group fufilled his request both quickly and quietly, ready to hear what the man had to say next, "squad four five one, you're my unit. Lieutenant Jackson, is my second in command. Each one of you is elite in some form of combat but, we are a non combat unit. So, we'll be following days behind the front line troops."

"You're to be the onscreen faces of the invasion," Cressida cut in with an easier explanation, "the Star Squad. It's been decided that you'll be most affective when seen by the masses-"

"So we're not gonna fight?" Gale questioned harshly.

Kaianna focused on Boggs for the answer.

"You'll do whatever you're ordered to do, soldier," Boggs responded sternly, "it is not your job to ask questions."

Gale gave the commander a curt nod, "Yes sir."

Finnick sent Brooke a flat look, and the blonde worked overtime to hide her grin when Kaianna nudged his elbow and gave him a stern glare.

"Our instructions are to shoot propaganda footage on the battle-scarred streets of the capitol," Boggs either didn't notice the groups antics, or he chose to ignore them as he began his breakdown, "you were handpicked to intimidate their forces-"

"And inspire surrenders." Cressida cut in again.

Boggs paused for a moment at the second interruption, "Even though we'll be working on abandoned streets miles behind the front lines, I guarantee you, wherever they put us, it will not be safe."

Kaianna sent Brooke an unsure glance, which was met with nothing but a reassuring grin on the girl's part.

"This is a war zone," Boggs continued passionately, "it is likely that we'll encounter both active pods and peacekeepers. You're considered high-value targets in the Capitol."