6

"You're really bad at this!" Brooke laughed loudly.

"Ok, first of all, I've been letting you win," Finnick defended humorously, "which won't happen again."

"It better not."

The two were playing a seemingly never ending game of rock paper scissors, to pass the time in the bunker. It wasn't helping too much but, it gave them something else to focus on. Something to smile about. They played again and again, and finally about ten rounds in, Finnick won.

"Damn ok," Brooke sighed dramatically, "you weren't kidding."

He sent the girl a smile but, his expression hardened when he set his sights on a terrified looking Katniss. She seemed like she was running from something. Or, someone.

"Katniss," Finnick called after the girl, who was darting in the other direction. He picked up his pace to catch up to her, "Katniss!"

When he reached her, he grabbed her bicep, warranting her to flinch. She looked like she was about to breakdown when her eyes met his.

"What's going on?" Finnick questioned worriedly.

"I can't do it." She mumbled shakily. There was pure terror engraved in her tone.

"Do what," His question sent her over the edge. Finnick panicked slightly as Katniss started to hyperventilate. She was having such a hard time catching her breath, that he thought she could asphyxiate at any minute, "Katniss, it's ok! You're ok! It's alright!"

He spoke calmly, and encouragingly towards the girl. His hands rubbed up and down, softly and reassuringly over her shoulders as he walked her through a couple deep breaths. He didn't speak up until he was sure she was calmer.

"You're alright," Finnick sighed softly, "can you tell me what's going on?"

"Snow dropped his roses," His heart dropped at her words. He understood where Katniss was headed immediately, "Finnick, I can't do it! He's gonna kill Peeta- he's gonna kill all of them- it's too late. I'm so sorry. I cant- I have to go."

Before Finnick could respond, Katniss was running away. Her words burned into his head, and shoved his heart back into his stomach. His hands raked through his hair frantically. With each pass he made back and forth, all he wanted was to have the answers. But, he couldn't. He didn't know what to do, and now he was starting to panic.

"Finnick," Finnick's green eyes were as wide as saucers when they met those of Haymitch, "have you seen Katniss?"

He still couldn't speak, so he pointed frantically in the direction the girl had gone. He stood for another moment, trying to keep himself upright, before someone else approached him. When he looked up at the sound of footsteps, he shook his head wildly. It was Boggs.

"Finnick-" The man said calmly.

"No!" Finnick finally lost it, his hands resting on his head in an attempt to help him catch his breath.

"It's not over yet," Boggs explained, "don't give up."

"No," Finnick grunted, "I can't lose her. Please don't let me lose her."

"It's alright," The look in the bald man's eyes, calmed Finnick down a reasonable amount, "we have a plan."

"What?"

"Come with me."

--------------

Katniss looked up slowly at the sound of approaching footsteps. The numb look on her face seemed permanently tattooed. When she recognized Haymitch, she moved her eyes back to the ground.