34 | imaginary friend.

Kenzie

I don't exactly remember every event of last night, but I remember enough that I am so beyond regretful of my choices.

Not only did I make New Year's Eve less enjoyable for everyone that was here, but I ruined it entirely for some.

Scarlett, Florence and Chris spent god knows how long trying to find me and I had absolutely zero care or awareness for the fact that Scarlett especially, was in a state of frenzy because her sixteen year old daughter had once again snuck out whilst high as a kite, and was found more drunk than ever.

If I wasn't already sorry about my actions, the headache I woke up with after about five hours of sleep was sure to make sure of it.

I decided to peel myself out of bed just before it hit nine-thirty and with Scarlett still dozing beside me, I was careful to be quiet.

My first course of action was of course to go down to the kitchen and take some ibuprofen for my pounding headache, and then make an extremely strong cup of coffee.
Whilst making my way through it, I decided to look up a recipe for pancakes.

I don't exactly know how I can make up for last night, but bringing Scarlett breakfast in bed seems like a good start.

Carefully, I place the plate of perfectly stacked pancakes and a cup of coffee on her nightstand before crawling into the bed next to her and gently waking her up.

A groan falls past her lips as she slowly opens her eyes and they adjust to the sunlight peeking through the curtains. "What is it, Kenz?"

"I made you pancakes and coffee," I inform her, keeping my voice quiet.

"Huh?" She asks, her hoarse voice cracking. I look down at her with a small smile as her eyebrows draw together.

"Coffee. Pancakes. Nightstand," I reiterate with a tired giggle, this time getting the information across as she turns her head and props herself up her elbows.

"You made me breakfast in bed?" She sits back against the pillows and lifts the plate into her lap.

I nod. "I hope they taste okay. I haven't made pancakes in a very long time."

"Thank you, babe." She cups my cheek in her hand and presses her lips against my forehead.

"You're welcome," I send her a nervous smile, breathing in deeply, "I'm really sorry about last night. For last week too, I don't think I ever apologised for that."

Taking a bite of her breakfast, she wraps one arm around my shoulders and pulls me into her side with a tight-lipped smile curling onto her lips. "Thank you."

"Whilst I was cooking I was thinking of how to make it up to you and thought that maybe for starters I could somehow work off the money to replace your rug and the cushions of the couch I ruined?" I suggest, picking at the loose string of cotton on her sheet as I meet her gaze with an anxious smile.

"How about we talk about it after I've had my coffee, yeah?" She half-heartedly chuckles.

"Okay," I agree. "I'll be back in a moment."

Quickly, I get out of her bed and head to my own room, reaching into the very back of my closet before nervously returning with the small ziplock bag in hand.