sketch 3: S

Sketch #3: W

My kid brother W got held back a year in school because he failed junior kindergarten. I always get a good laugh out of it.

“I thought all you were doing was sitting on a carpet and play with toys.” I’d say.

He would go on playing his video game, eyes never leaving the screen. The most he would do is spare me a remote glance and shrug his shoulders.

 “Seriously, who fails Kindergarten?” I’d question the room at large. But then again the only memories of myself back in those tender years was listening to Ms. H calling my parents after I crapped in my pants. I was wearing pale yellow pants – the contrast was brilliant.

One rule of my old preschool was nap taking, where everyone must take naps, no talking allowed. Ms. H used to monitor this, and I had always been too scared to go to the bathroom. So one day when I could no longer contain myself I crapped in my bed slowly and silently, feeling the warm, soft substance cushioning my bottom.

Ahhh…it was such a relief.

As I dwelled in my luxury I am starting to become aware of two things 1) the bed is getting god-awfully slimy, and 2) Mrs. H began to sniff her nose. I duck under my covers and peeped out, she turned toward my direction – either noticing the motion out of the corner of her eye or smelled it, which I highly suspect was the latter – and widened her eyes. And the rest is history.

But – enough about me, this chapter is dedicated to S, after all. S and I have an 11 year age gap; which reflected on how long my parents had waited. I went to the hospital a day after he arrived; he was a fucking ugly baby.

My Mother’s friends who visited would exclaim, “My, what a lovely baby!”

Our next door neighbor – a college student – would state, “He’s red as a cooked lobster!”

Over time, though, the redness of his skin subsided and was replaced with a healthy glow, he eyes got bigger and started sprouting out eyelashes longer than mine, his nose became better sculpted than mine, etc, etc, etc. That is fine with me. I mean, if he was a girl I would surely murder him in his sleep; but since he is a boy I will kindly let that slide. 

Enough about W. For now.