Chapter 1

"Chloe where did you get that gun?!" Max says as she walked into her dorm room after she had gotten done with her classes for the day. Max had given Chloe a spare key awhile back and told her that she was more than welcome to come anytime she wanted. She hadn't used it at all until this evening. "Oh this ol’ girl?” Chloe says whilst twirling the pistol. “I found her while dumpster diving behind this shitty bar called, ‘The Vortex Club’” She then holsters the weapon in her back pocket and chuckles.

Max was quite shocked but that's what Chloe does is keep her on her toes. She did have to admit, Chloe looked really hot when she twirled the pistol. At the same time, she was quite concerned about her best friend's safety when she heard that Chloe had been at the Vortex Club. "You weren't around Nathan were you and is that thing loaded?" She questioned her. Chloe chuckled at Max’s question. “Loaded? Max please. If it’s not then what’s the point?” She then smiled at Max. “And yes, Nathan was there, but don’t worry. I got it under control.” She reassured her best friend. “Anyhow. Where’s the bathroom? I gotta take a piss.” She shrugged her shoulders and looked down at her sneakers. "At least don't be stupid with it like the time you and I were at the junkyard and you nearly got shot. Remember? I had to keep on rewinding to save your ass that day?" She pointed out to her.
"If you say you got it under control then I believe you. Uh, it's down the hall to your left." She smiled at her. "Enjoy your piss." Max chuckled at her best friend.

“Will do.” Chloe muttered, before walking down the hallway and locking herself in the bathroom. Once she had locked the door, she let out a sigh as she dropped her gun on the sink. She felt a little guilty that she wasn’t being honest with Max, but the reason why she was keeping her mouth shut was that she knew that Max would probably try and stop her. She ran some water, and splashed her face. Max was right. She probably shouldn’t play so fast and loose with weapons. But… She thought. But it’s so much fun.

Max truly didn't know if she was telling the truth or not. As per usual, she gave her the benefit of a doubt. She tried to see the best in most everyone. It's just how she's always been. Max let out a sigh. She saw her phone vibrate on the desk. Max glanced down at the caller I.D. It read "Kate Marsh." She immediately picked up and answered. "Hey Kate, how is everything? Are you okay?" She did worry about Kate, especially given that she did try to end her life about a day ago. "Yeah Max. I just wanted to thank you again for talking me out of jumping off the top of the building. I was at my wits end. You gave me hope. I'll forever be grateful." Kate spoke on the other line. "No problem, that's what I'm here for." Max responded with. "Okay that's all I really wanted to say. Also, if you're not busy sometime, we should hang out." Kate suggested.
"That sounds great." Max replied.
"I've got to go now, my sisters just got here." Kate hung up shortly after speaking her last sentence.

Chloe exited the bathroom after about 10 minutes. After a while she began knocking on Max’s door.
“You in there, Max?” She called. “I’m back.” She grinned. Chloe’s mind was in other places right now, and she felt like she was in that time where all of her actions had consequences, and she needed a friendly face to talk to. Perhaps Max could keep her level for a bit? She hoped. As she waited for Max to respond, she leaned against the doorframe.

Max followed suit got up to open her door for Chloe. She smiled when she saw her standing in front of it. "You must have had to really piss huh? Ten minutes is a long time." She pointed out to her. Chloe chuckled as she walked into Max’s room and sat in Max’s bed. “Yeah I did. I’ve been chugging beer like a fish all morning.” She lied. She then looked up at Max. “So… Whatcha been up to?” She asked. Her eyes then drifted to Max’s phone. “Uh, who called you?” She narrowed her eyes a little, but didn’t question it. She really didn’t want to seem like she was prying, but she wanted to be sure if her best friend was okay.

"I was just waiting for you to come back but then Kate Marsh called me to thank me for essentially talking her out of ending her life for good." She changed the subject. "Chloe if you were in trouble you'd tell me right?" She asked her. "I'm just wondering is all. You seem...kinda off lately." Chloe bit her lip and sat up straight. What did Max mean? Was she really that worried over her? She never showed this much concern before… “Well, I’ll let you know if anything’s wrong, Max. But right now there isn’t anything.” She looked down to avoid her gaze. “But thanks for asking. It means a lot to me that you care.” She muttered.

"Please do Chloe because you're my entire world and I don't know what I'd do if I ever lost you. I almost did when we were at American Rust and it just really got me thinking lately." She took both of her hands into her own as she looked directly in her direction. "I'll always care for you. I care the most about you." Max sounded sincere. She meant each and every word from the heart. Chloe felt her heart melt as she heard Max speak those words. She looked up from her lap and looked Max in the eye. “I’m so sorry, Max. That wasn’t fair for you. I shouldn’t have put you through that, and you never deserved it. I should’ve taken it so much more seriously.” Chloe rubbed the back of her neck while sighing. “I don’t know what I’d do without you either.” She smiled softly.

Max listened intentally to everything that Chloe was telling her. "Chloe listen, it's okay. I'm not mad at you. I was just worried about you is all. I always worry about you because I care about you more than anyone else in Arcadia Bay." She looked deeply onto her eyes to show she was being sincere. "You never have to worry about what it would be like to lose me again, because I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying right here with you in Arcadia Bay."

Chloe felt tears welling up in her eyes. Her best friend since they were kids. “I love you.” She whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks. How can she be so kind? How can she love me so much? She wondered. Chloe had never felt this way before… She then hugged Max tightly. “I would be lost without you.” She wept, as Max sat and took her in her arms. Max takes her thumbs and ever so gently wipes away the tears that fell down her cheeks. "I love you too Chloe." She responded. The moment the two of them shared with each other was so sweet. "I feel the same way Chloe." Max responded to her and hugged her back tightly, not wanting to let go of her at all. "I've known you ever since we were kids and know when you're lying to me. Please , tell me why you were in the bathroom for 10 minutes. I need to know. I feel... I feel something is wrong and you're just not telling me for whatever reason." Max's tone of voice was so calm.

Chloe looked up into Max’s eyes. She let those big green eyes see through her entire soul. Max was the one person she could trust, and she knew that. If she told Max the truth- if she told her that she was planning on going on a rampage, that she was going to shoot Nathan in front of everyone, that she wanted him dead for what he did to Rachel… What then? Would Max turn her in? Would Max get hurt over it? It can’t be that bad. She thought. Maybe I’m overthinking this. Max gazed deeply into her Chloe's breathtakingly beautiful blue eyes, getting lost within them. Max finally spoke up after a brief silence. "Listen Chloe." She took Chloe's hands into her own. "I would never judge you ever. Hell, I support you in the good times and bad. Nothing you could say would make me loathe you. I support you no matter what." Max tried her absolute hardest to give Chloe some much needed reassurance.