Reaching Fame - chapter 3

I woke up feeling much better than yesterday morning, when I woke up next to my best friend who just so happened to be naked. Instead of having breakfast this morning, I rolled a joint. Mom doesn't know about my need for weed, and I don't want her to know seeing as she has enough to worry about already. After my joint I went downstairs to Mom who was sitting in the kitchen with her magazine again, "Hey, Mom," I said whilst pulling out a chair to sit on.

"Before you sit down, there's some mail for you on the coffee table in the living room, honey," said Mom without even looking up, "'Kay," I said while walking to the living room. I went over to the coffee table and picked up two letters and slouched down on the couch. I ripped the first one open, which was from my bank, which I could tell 'cause there was the massive logo on the envelope. Blah blah blah, overdraft, whatever. I threw it away and opened the next one. On the front was a logo that I wasn't familiar with, it was a musical note with smoke coming from it. Kinda cool. I opened it,

Dear Mr Curtis Webb,

We have noticed your vocal covers for songs on the website, www.youtube.com, have continuously been successful with tens of thousands of views, and we see potential in you. Your ability to sing and scream and the quality of it would be great in a metal band, as you probably know. And your variety of style and pitch could take you far in your career. We would like to have an informal interview with you if possible. We have left our contact details at the bottom of this letter.

We hope you will take this chance to make it big,

Yours sincerely,

Stereo High Records

Did I just read that properly? I read it through, over and over again, until it finally sunk in. I could potentially be signed to a record contract. But with everything going on now? I don't know if I could, I mean, I've still got this year of school to go and then I'm meant to go to college. But I could make it big, couldn't I? But what if I'm not good enough? Urgh, making choices is so hard. I stuck the letter in my pocket and went upstairs to my room. I picked up my phone, I had one text from - Evie?

Hey,

Erm, can we meet up and talk or something today? I really want 2 talk 2 u.

Evie

I replied quickly,

Sure, Starbucks at 11? See ya then

Curt

I turned on my laptop, and signed into youtube. I looked at my cover for save it for the bedroom. 12,337. My fastest hit ever! I only uploaded it yesterday afternoon! I shut my laptop and sat there for a while, just thinking to myself. This is the best and worst situation I've ever been in. After a while, I looked up at the time. 10:40. Shit, it's a 20 minute drive to town, where Starbucks is. I quickly got up, pulled on some red skinny jeans and a superman top, some red converses, and headed out.

***

I ran out my car, and towards Starbucks. I was still running when I looked through the window and saw Evie sat with one of her friends, Kayleigh, both laughing and drinking a Latte or something. I stopped running and started walking, I didn't want to seem like the weirdo running through Starbucks. I casually stepped in and walked over to Evie and Kayleigh, who as I guessed, were drinking Latte. I slid onto the cushioned seat they were on and took a sip from Evie's cup, who smiled politely up at me. I put the cup down and our eyes met for a second, and I saw something in hers, but just for a second. Kayleigh was staring at us so I looked down. She coughed and said, "I'll be going then," before standing up, flicking her unnaturally curled hair, and strutted out of the front doors, in bright pink heels which looked impossible to walk in. I looked over at Evie, who opened her mouth as if to say something, but then instead took a gulp of her drink. She then looked at me and said, "Look, I don't want this to ruin our friendship, I mean you're my best friend, I would hate to see us drift apart..."

I nodded slowly before saying, "Did we use... err..." She cut me off,

"Don't worry, I took the morning after pill,"

I smiled at her and she smiled back. I held her hand and stood up, pulling her up with me,

"Come on, let's go to the park," I laughed, and we walked to the park, holding hands, like best friends.

***

Me and Evie just bought some ice cream and are now heading back for the swings, hand in hand with the ice cream in our other hands. We reached the swings and sat down on them. We finished our ice creams and sat there, on the swings, just sitting in silence, but it wasn't an awkward silence - like it could have been. I decided to break it though, "Hey Evie, guess what,"

"What?"

I felt myself smile and I swung lightly on the swing, "Stereo High Records sent me a letter today saying they want to meet and chat 'bout a possible record contract,"

Evie squealed and got up quickly and hugged me, she stood back and said,

"Oh my God! That's totally awesome! I haven't even heard of Stereo High records, but still, that's great!"

She hugged me again, then sat down.

"But I don't know if I want to,"

Evie looked at me, puzzled, "'Course you want to!"

I didn't say anything, and after a while we said good-bye and headed in different directions to go home.