CHAPTER THIRTY- ONE - BY A HAIR'S BREADTH

Ahmad

I stared at Dr. Sa'ad like he was speaking gibberish. "And what does that mean?"

"It means your wife almost lost her child. Even now... We cannot say if she is stable. We are trying our best to save both Mother and baby. We now leave everything to Allah."

My sight became clouded. "Amanah was pregnant?"

"Hey.. Is pregnant. What she had was threatened abortion, not a miscarriage." The man seemed vexed.

My legs couldn't hold me up anymore. I took one of his office seats and sat, running my hands through my head and face.

She is pregnant. It was all she has wanted in the past few weeks. She had been pregnant when she went through all that?

"How is her situation now?" I asked, trembling.

"Until she wakes up, we cannot say anything Son. You only need to pray now."

Dr. Sa'ad tapped my shoulder and left me sitting in the office.

Almost immediately, Mom and her crew rushed in.

"What did Sa'ad say?"

"Is Amanah okay?"

"When is she waking up?"

"Do we have to transfer her to another hospital?"

"Yes. Maybe, Sa'ad's in Asokoro?"

The last question was by Dad.

When I looked at them all, they looked hopeful and pained.

"Amanah is pregnant." I told them.

"AlhamduliLlaah! That's good news..."

"What has you in that mood?" Dad asked, interrupting her excited mood.

I told them what Dr, Sa'ad said and Mom hit my shoulder.

"Is that why you look like a mouse dragged out by a cat? See, let me tell you something! Allah is the only One that knows the future. Amanah will be fine, if we ask Him. That young lady has been through a lot the last few days. Oya, stand up. Go and make wudu'. What kind of son is this that remembers Allah only when he is not in grief...?"

"Mom..."

"Don't Mom her!" Dad interrupted me. "Now get yourself up and go into the masjid. We will all do the same."

I did not need any more consolation. They were right. I couldn't go, mopping around all day when I should be speaking to the One in Whose hands our Souls are.

I followed Dad out and Abdur-Rahman joined us.

During my nawafil, I remained in prostration. I cried my heart out to Allah. I wasn't a good enough husband to my wife. I didn't try my best to protect the amanah in my trust. But if Allah would give me the chance again... If only He would give me another chance...

When I finished, I went back to the private ward where Amanah laid helplessly uncontious.

Sophia saw me and vacated her seat beside her sister for me.

I took the seat and took her free hand.

Just by that gesture, everyone seemed to understand that I needed time with her alone and left us alone. I was grateful.

The sight of my ever vivacious Amanah lying in bed without as much sign of life in her, tore at me heart.

But, it was better. A few hours ago, when I had entered the hidden room of An-Nata filling station and seen her tied with her hands to the sides of a chair while she sat like she was in pain, it had been worse.