The Wreck

Brian and Claire attended the same high school, but they met for the first time at the Christmas dance. Brian had come by himself, and so had Claire, so they spent most of the evening together. At eleven o'clock Claire said "I have to go Brian, can you give me a ride home?" Brian agreed, since he had to go home to, and they went out to his car. On the way there, she explained why he needed a ride home.

"I drove my car into a tree" she told him "I guess I wasn't really that careful." Brian drove her to the beginning of Forest Drive, but didn't really know this part of town.

"Why don't you drop me off here" she suggested "The road up ahead is kind of a mess anyway." Brian stopped the car and held out some tinsel in his hand.

"I got it at the dance," he told her "Take some."

"Thanks!' said Claire "I'll put it in my hair." Once she did, she began getting out of the car, but Brian grabbed her hand.

"Claire?" he asked "I was wondering if you wanted to go to a movie or something another time."

"That would be great" she said with a smile, and then, clutching her purple dress so she didn't trip, she got out of the car. After Brian drove away, he realized he hadn't gotten Claire's phone number, so he decided to drive back. Forest Drive was a road with very few houses and bunches of trees. He was looking for a house with a light on to indicate someone just getting home, but there were none. He soon came to a part of the forest that was very smoky and he decided to go check it out. It turns out that there had just been a car accident. He looked in the car and saw a girl, crushed by the steering column. He looked in closer to get a better look at the girl.

The girl was wearing a purple dress and had tinsel in her hair.

It was Claire.