Chapter 12

"See, I  spotted a fugitive with the ryoka

"See, I  spotted a fugitive with the ryoka." His grin broaded. "Former Fourth seat of Squad Ten, Shiba Enka"

Ganju hadn't taken well to me wearing the Shiba haori, if he had known it was Kaien's he'd have probably attacked, but Kukaku had taken care of his little outburst as soon as it happened. She reminded me alot of Kaien in that regard, he didn't have patience for nonsense either. I appreciated it, I wasn't sure I was ready to let Ganju know who I was yet. I can still hear him yelling how much he hated me, I don't think I could stand hearing from his mouth again.

I was starting to wonder if making us wait was his way of getting revenge. He had stalked off after Kukaku scolded him, and had been gone since then. But I knew he intended to come with us, as Kukaku had already informed me. It was a surprise, seeing as Ganju hated shinigami, and this particular shinigami was the one he hated the most. But he didn't know that, did he? He had no idea we were going to save the shinigami that killed his brother.

He eventually did show up, and it really didn't take long for him and Ichigo to be at each other's throats. If I had cousins, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be fighting them like this. But who knows, I didn't have cousins after all.

The conversation between the two took a turn, and I felt my blood run cold. Ganju was talking about Kaien, about his death. Kami... I didn't think I'd have to hear the story again. Once was more than enough... it was almost like a reminder that I wasn't there. Where was I, anyway? I had to think about that for a bit, a mission in the World of the Living maybe? It doesn't matter. I shouldn't have been there. I should have been here...

"What the hell do you mean they're gone?! That's impossible! Kaien's is a lieutenant! He's too strong to just die!"

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I felt Kukaku nudging me. I looked down at her, and saw a similar look of pain on her face. I frowned and put my hand on her shoulder, giving it a squeeze.

"Enka," she addressed me. "Promise me you'll bring him back" her gaze had turned towards Ganju, showing me who she was talking to.

I nodded. "What's one more nephew to keep an eye on?" I scoffed, trying to lighten the mood. "It's not like they're both hard-headed, reckless and have no sense of self preservation. I'm sure it'll be fine"

I was trying to joke, but it was true. I originally intended to just keep an eye out from the shadows, make sure the kids don't die while not outing myself. But now, I have a feeling that Baku might be getting a chance to properly battle. Said zanpakuto almost purred in her sheathe, the battle thirsty thing was always ready.

•°•°•°•°•°

I had done alot of things in my years, but admittedly, being shot out of a giant cannon was definitely a first. The first part wasn't that bad really, but knowing that my life now hanged the hands of teens knowing how to stay focused was terrifying.