Chapter 8

If my writing fluctuates, I apologize. I've been going through alot and writing this has been my only escape. And seeing the interactions on my stories is honestly one of the few good things happening to me lately.

Thanks everyone that's been reading my stories. I appreciate all of you

I should have known. I really should have. When have things ever just gone without a hitch? Never! Things always go wrong, and their trip through the dangai was no exception. Why? Because they just happened to enter the dangai on its weekly cleaning day.

Our group was being chased by the Kōtotsu, the cleaner, and it was slowly but surely catching up to us. No one could outrun the Kōtotsu, and it was becoming more clear the further it got.

"Just keep running forward!" Yoruichi yelled, but it wasn't really useful advice. The only way to outrun the Kōtotsu was to use shunpo, but only the two of us could use it.

"It's catching up, Yoruichi!" I snapped at her. "These can't outrun it, and I can't carry all four of them!"

"You don't need to! We're almost there!"

I could see the end of the dangai up in the distance, but I could also feel the Kōtotsu all but literally on our heels.  There just wasn't a way for them to get out with all of them in tact. I didn't think I'd have to make a sacrifice so soon in our journey, but at this point, there didn't seem to be any other option. I reached for my zanpakuto and prepared to turn and face the Kōtotsu, but before I could do anything, it was Inoue who reacted.

"Hinagiku! Baigon! Lily!" Those hairpins she always seemed to wear started glowing. "Santenkesshun! I reject!"

I couldn't hide my surprise when a bright came forth from the hairpins and created a shield between us and the Kōtotsu, and when the sweeper came in contact with the shield, it created an explosion that sent us all through the end of the dangai...

... and right into the sky above Rukongai.

We didn't even have time to react before we crashed into the ground. My place as one of the ones infront meant I had the unfortune of potentially having someone land on me. By some grace, it ended up being Yoruichi, but she ended up hitting my middle and knocking whatever air I had left out of me.

"Is everyone okay?" Came Inoue's innocent question, and I honestly had to resist the urge to strangle her.

"Yoruichi" I wheezed out. The cat was still in shock on my stomach, and unfortunately had her nails in me. "Can you.. let go now?"

"Yes, I'm sorry"

I breathed out a sigh of relief as her sharp nails were removed from my skin and she climbed off me. I carefully sat up and started rubbing the back of my head, since it taken a large brunt of my landing. While the others continued their chatting, and Yoruichi ended up scolding Inoue, I looked around the area. Empty, not a soul in sight. I couldn't blame them. It's not everyday some strangely dressed people, including a shinigami, came crashing down from the sky.

Sighing, I carefully stood up and stretched out. I'm definitely way too old for crash landings, and it's showing. Something briefly caught my attention, and I saw someone through a crack of a door before it slammed shut. At least we didn't end up in a deserted town. Continuing my look around, I soon realized where we were. No, it wasn't some deserted town. Luck had delivered us right outside Seireitei. Not only that, it was the White Road Gate. I had frequented this area alot back in day when I was still in Squad 13, whose district was quite literally right infront of us. The urge to hide before anyone who might recognise me popped up then.