02: Diplomacy

Battlegroup Volga, Task Force 203
New World, Slava Wreck Site
January 10th 2000

Clear skies and good weather greeted the sailors of Task Force 203 as they arrived at the wreck site of the now-scuttled Slava.

As the rest of Battlegroup Volga steamed towards Rodenius, the ships assigned to Task Force 203 broke off in order to survey the wreck site of Slava, who had been scuttled due to heavy damage during the Reverie engagement. Their task was to recover any sensitive information, safely dispose of unfired munitions, and recover bodies, a rather standard operation for any task force.

Leading the task force was the TNV Belfast, a Luxor class guided missile destroyer, a far newer and more capable ship class compared to the heavily upgraded Spruances and Udaloys that had served the fleet for the past decade. The Belfast was accompanied by two of these older vessels, a trio of newer Shimikaze-class frigates and the auxiliary ship Helios, whose submersibles and divers would be doing all the important work.

The crews of these vessels found themselves rather relaxed all things considered, not expecting to find any sort of major disturbance. So when a slight noise was detected through the hydrophones which suspiciously coincided with a slight spike in magical energy signatures, it was a massive surprise.

This was a sign that they were being watched by something under the waves.

But by who?

...

IHMNS Sapphire
Wreck Site Aleph
January 10th, 1639

The IHMNS Sapphire

She was one of the most advanced ships in the Holy Milishall Empire's fleet, equipped with many technologies reverse-engineered from old Ravernal wrecks. Compared to the older submarine designs in use by the Imperial Holy Milishall Navy, she was far quieter, far faster, could dive much deeper and was capable of being equipped with not only torpedoes, but special variants of the Guided Magic Warheads that could be fired underwater to attack ships or if need be, strategic targets when tipped with Core Magic. 

Such an illustrious vessel was in command of Lord-Captain Drang, who sat comfortably at the center of of the submarine's well lit CIC, holographic displays showing the unmistakable figure of several military vessels surrounding the mysterious wreck.

"So this is why we have been sent to the Outside Civilization Area of all places" Drang pondered "I thought that it was an insult to send a vessel as advanced as the Sapphire to such an insignificant place. Now, I see why." 

"Should we contact them, Lord-Captain?" one of the officers asked

"No, let us observe them for now," Drang replied, sipping his tea. "I am sure that the Imperial Navy Intelligence will be very interested at what we have here."

--Line Break--

Port Maihark, Principality of Qua Toyne
January 10th, 1639

Merchants told many tall tales

These were men that, while born and raised in Qua Toyne, had the opportunity to travel the world from the Pearl of Phildaes to the Sleepless City. The job of these brave men was to sail onto other continents, each person having different reasons. Some did it out of a sense of adventure, and some simply wanted some money to feed their families at home. No matter the reason for sailing out into the great unknown, however, there was one thing that held true.

These brave men and women loved to exaggerate their stories. Especially if you were one of the lucky few to visit the nations of Mu or the Holy Milishall Empire.