Chapter Six

Spencer was startled awake in the early hours of the morning by a blood-curdling scream. He pushed off the blankets and sprang out of bed, racing down the hall towards Y/N's room.

He saw Y/N flailing in her sleep, tears flowing down her face, as he opened the door. He walked towards her, gently shaking her shoulder.

"Y/N, wake up, it's okay," he said quietly, his voice comforting.

Y/N's eyes opened, and she whimpered again as she stared up at him, her chest heaving with sobbing.

"It felt so real Spence. He... he caught me." Y/N whispered.

"It's okay, Y/N," Spencer said again, throwing his arms around her and drawing her in closer. "You're OK. "You're with me. I will not let anyone hurt you."

Y/N buried her face in Spencer's chest, clinging to him as she cried. Spencer rubbed her back gently, murmuring words of comfort as he held her close.

As the minutes passed, Y/N's sobs subsided and her breathing became more regular. Spencer knew she'd fallen back asleep, but he didn't want to disturb her fragile peace.

So he stayed there, holding her close, his heart aching with love and pain.

As dawn's first light began filtering through the window, Spencer finally pulled away, tucking the blankets around Y/N's sleeping form. He stood there momentarily, watching her sleep, before turning and heading to the kitchen, still groggy from the sudden wake-up call. He rubbed his eyes and blinked a few times, trying to get rid of the sleepiness. As he reached for the coffee maker, he felt a sense of relief wash over him.

Spencer leaned against the kitchen counter, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath as the aroma of freshly brewed coffee brimmed the air.

He poured himself a cup and added a splash of a creamer once it was ready. The first sip of hot, bitter coffee hit him like a bolt of lightning, fully waking him up and causing him to feel more alert.

Spencer picked up his phone from the kitchen counter and scrolled through his contacts until he found Morgan's number. He took a deep breath before hitting the call button, his mind racing with all the possible outcomes of their conversation.

After a few rings, Morgan answered. "Hey, Reid," he said, his voice groggy with sleep.

"Sorry to wake you, Morgan," Spencer said quickly. "I just wanted to talk to you about Y/N's case."

Morgan sat up in bed, suddenly wide awake. "What's going on?"

"I can't shake the feeling that we're missing something," Spencer said, his voice tense with frustration. "We've been over the evidence a hundred times, but we haven't been able to find any solid leads."

Morgan let out a deep sigh. "I know, man. It's been driving me crazy too."

"I just don't want to give up," Spencer said, his voice low and determined. "We owe it to Y/N to find her parents' killer."

Morgan nodded his voice firm. "I'm with you, Reid. We'll keep working on it, no matter what it takes."

Spencer felt a surge of gratitude towards his friend. "Thanks, Morgan. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Morgan chuckled. "Hey, that's what partners are for."

They chatted for a few more minutes, discussing possible leads and brainstorming new ideas. As they said their goodbyes, Spencer felt a renewed sense of determination. He knew they still had a long way to go, but he was confident that they would eventually find the killer and bring them to justice.