Chapter 2 - Just a Normal Day

"Ready to head back to the castle?" Arthur asked her as they were packing up their latest camp sight after they had breakfast. Merlin nodded.

"I'll change back now, give me a moment," Arthur nodded, continuing to pack up. Leon didn't even glance over. After a few moments, they were all ready to go. Merlin frowned when he got onto his mare. His bottom was bonier as a male and it hurt more. That was one perk of being female when riding. He had cushion. "When we get back, we'll report back to father."

Merlin nodded as they set off. It would only be a few more hours. When they got to the castle, they did indeed head to the throne room, Merlin following behind the other two. Uther looked up when the doors opened.

"Ah! Arthur! Leon," he gave a small but tight smile. "How'd patrol go?"

"Very well, sire," Leon commented, bowing a bit. Arthur nodded.

"Nothing to report, not even bandits," he said. "Everyone is too busy enjoying the nicer weather, I hope."

"Well no news is good news," Uther nodded. "Have you a plan for dealing with Pellinn by the way? I heard several of my guards complain about his attitude."

"Yes, I had heard about that," Arthur nodded. "Tomorrow during training, I think. I'll think of something suitable by then. Maybe I'll ask some of your guards to fight some of the newer recruits as a small test, Pellinn included. An example of what Camelot expects from their knights."

"Excellent idea!" Uther gave a more genuine smile this time as he nodded his head. I shall let them know and send some of them over for training."

Arthur nodded. "Did you need us for anything else, Father? I'd like to relax for the afternoon, take a bath and then work on some reports I've missed. I'm sure Leon would enjoy the same."

"Yes, yes, of course," Uther waved his hand as his attention moved to his own paperwork in front of him. "I'll have the servants produce a bath for you both in your respective quarters. Gauis was asking if he could borrow your manservant for the afternoon for some help, anyways."

Merlin nodded with a small bow, knowing the King would expect it. Even if he appeared to be looking elsewhere.

"Thank you, your highness," Leon said with a slight bow.

"Thank you, father. We'll let you get back to work," Arthur said before they all turned around. Merlin could've sworn he felt Uther's piercing eyes on him as he walked away, but he didn't want to turn to check. The three parted ways as Merlin headed to his own quarters to see what Gauis needed help with.

"Ah, good. You're back!" Gauis gave him a welcoming smile as he glanced up from the most recent medicene he was working on. "How'd patrols go?"

"Very well," Merlin grinned as he sat at the table for a moment. It was only slightly better than sitting on the horse. "No bandits, and the weather was very nice."

"Good," Gauis dropped a herb into the pot he was stirring. "Would you mind going down to the field just outside the walls to get me more herbs? With the changing of the seasons, a mild cold seems to be going around."

Merlin nodded as he stood up. "Of course. I'll be back soon, then,"

He picked up one of the bigger baskets from near the door and set off towards the fields. He nodded at the knights standing by the gates.

"Collecting more herbs for Gauis?" one of them grinned down at Merlin. Merlin was tall, but this knight seemed to tower over him.

"Of course," Merlin gave a small laugh. "Seems a small cold is going around so Gauis will be busy for a few weeks, I expect. And so will I, collecting herbs and such."