The Day of Infamy

Anneliese looked up, seeing her TTY going off and looked out her peephole.

She opened it with a smile, seeing Bucky. 'To what do I owe the pleasure?'

Bucky's expression seemed grim. 'Have you seen the news?'

'No, what about it?'

'Pearl Harbor was attacked yesterday morning by Japanese soldiers, and we've just declared war.'

'What does that mean?'

'It means we're officially at war. Lisie, if I'm drafted...'

'No, please. Don't say that. I... I can't lose you.'

Bucky cupped her face and rested his forehead to herself with a sad smile. 'You're not gonna lose me, doll.'

She pushed him back with a frown. 'No! Don't say that!'

'Hey, there is a chance I won't be called. We don't know what's gonna happen.'

Anneliese pursed her lips and nodded. 'I'm sorry for that. I just...'

'You got scared. It's okay. There's no need to apologize.'

A tiny small crossed her face before a frown, laced with a concerned expression took over. 'Bucky, if you do get called, promise me you'll come back to me. And to Steve.'

'Doll, I can't...'

'Promise me! Please. I know the possibility is unlikely, but I need to hear the hopeful side of it.'

Bucky took her hands and brought them to his lips, giving them a kiss before running circles along the back of them. After a moment, he let them go with a light squeeze. 'Lisie, I promise I'll do everything within my power to come back to you and Steve.'

Anneliese nodded. 'Good. Now, I think we should find Steve. I guarantee he's probably already trying to enlist.'

Bucky let out a sigh. 'Probably. One of these days that kid is gonna get himself killed. Another reason I don't want to go. But if I do, promise me you'll look out for him?'

'Always.'

Bucky smiled and took her hand and the two left to make sure their friend wasn't trying to serve his country on the front line, even though they knew he very likely was.